Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Addicted to Diesel
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it is about 4 in the morning :tard:, i guess only 3:45 :dunno::dunno:, i got bored, and my buddy just had his 97 F350 lifted and saved the old set-up. So i got ahold of the rear blocks and put them on my truck tonight. over all process went really smooth, took about 1 hour and a half, i was surprised, i thought i would end up all night switching them around. real happy i did :thumb:, getting ready to make a haul up to Lake Tahoe this next week from bakersfield, and didn't want my front end up in the air with the travel trailer behind it. I think i need a little more lift in the front now though. i was surprised to see how much taller the 350 blocks really are.

Sorry for the long post, still had a little energy, will get some pics posted up as soon as i can. hopefully later on today when it gets to be light out again.
:icon_ford:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Any Pics Yet??

·
Addicted to Diesel
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sorry i can't find the pics i thought i took. i will get more, but here is a little teaser, cause it is not a good pic...
Before

After

I am going to have to start another thread got quite a few updates. (smoked cab lights with white leds, smoked tail lights, can't really think of anything else but i am sure there is more)

·
Land Yatch Driver
222 Posts
Looks good! Any driveline issues after the swap? Do ya got any advice cuz I am planning to go the other way and install F250 blocks under my 350 to gain clearance for my 5th wheel. I already have the blocks, just need to get u-bolts.

·
Addicted to Diesel
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

My advice is try to do one side at a time. might not be super easy but definately keep extra jacks on hand. my rear end rolled on me after i loosened up the second side. Had to go find another jack, luckily found a bottle jack and lifted the front back up into place so i could finish the job. no issues on my end. i do need to actually get new u-bolts. the ones i have are too short. i have a full thread but only come out about 1/4 of an inch past the nut. I need to find a stock short bed 350 and take a look at the rear and see how it compares to mine. our county fair is coming up so there should be one or two there. it is not exactly a straight line with the driveline and rear differential so i wanted to compare and see what might be the same or different. good luck. just have a really big wrench and or a long breaker bar. i took the tires off to get better access in there.:thumb:

·
Viking Heavy Diesel
20,739 Posts
Looks good dude!

·
Land Yatch Driver
222 Posts
Thanks for the advice, I am gonna do mine this week. Now I got to go find all the tools I need to do the job. Looks like you gained what I need to lose.

·
Addicted to Diesel
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i am very happy with it. thanks guys. it turned out to be exactly what i wanted. now i want to do like a 3" hanger kit up front to give it a little less nose dive. i think it will work out alright.

you will lose about 2-3". as far as pull behind trailer i gained 4-5" of height on the hitch, the whole similar triangles thing. i mean before a 2wd truck almost had more height than mine did on the same type of hitch

·
Registered
578 Posts
Thanks for the advice, I am gonna do mine this week. Now I got to go find all the tools I need to do the job. Looks like you gained what I need to lose.
Sorry to dig up an old thread but did you do the lowering job gygers? I want to lower my F350's butt as well. I race motorcycles and it is really hard to load up into an F350. I also tow both a travel trailer and an EQ trailer and both of them are nose high even with the hitch adjusted as low as possible on the standard shank.

I would love to get the tailgate down to a more reasonable height.

·
Addicted to Diesel
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I find it kinda funny that now that i have done this i find all the others that want to drop there hind quarters. Any one need 250 blocks?

·
Registered
578 Posts
I find it kinda funny that now that i have done this i find all the others that want to drop there hind quarters. Any one need 250 blocks?
Yes. I would love some.

I read the TSB for lowering the F350s if you need to tow a 5th wheel and they describe lowering the center bearing as well as changing out the sway bar links. Also, the shocks and U-bolts need to be swapped.

What really interests me is that even though you are only lowering the axle by 2 inches, the tailgate height, and hitch height drop considerably more. You say 4-5 inches? That's great.

Did you mess with the sway bar links?

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
anyone know where to find some 350 blocks?

·
Land Yatch Driver
222 Posts
Sorry to dig up an old thread but did you do the lowering job gygers? I want to lower my F350's butt as well. I race motorcycles and it is really hard to load up into an F350. I also tow both a travel trailer and an EQ trailer and both of them are nose high even with the hitch adjusted as low as possible on the standard shank.

I would love to get the tailgate down to a more reasonable height.
Yah I did do the lowering myself. I would sugest getting shorter u-bolts before you start. I had some built at a local spring shop for about $65. I replaced one side at a time, supported the axle with a jack stand and had hydraulic jacks under the ends of the spring. You have to kinda roll the spring locator pin into the spring block, but its not too awful hard. Overall its an easy job. My truck sits almost level and now my fifth wheel sits darn near level also. Definitely happy with the outcome, I just wish I had done it last year. Good luck!

·
Electrical Ogre
12,276 Posts
One suggestion, use a couple ratchet straps hooked to frame holes to keep the axle in place. It saves you the monkey work of trying to move it back (or it makes life easier if it does move.) Did a little learning on it when I put 350 blocks on my '97.

·
Addicted to Diesel
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes. I would love some.

I read the TSB for lowering the F350s if you need to tow a 5th wheel and they describe lowering the center bearing as well as changing out the sway bar links. Also, the shocks and U-bolts need to be swapped.

What really interests me is that even though you are only lowering the axle by 2 inches, the tailgate height, and hitch height drop considerably more. You say 4-5 inches? That's great.

Did you mess with the sway bar links?
all i did was change the blocks and the u-bolts. planning on getting longer u-bolts, the one i have are a little short. only a thread or two coming out the top. probably get a carrier bearing drop too. new shockks soon. looking at new leveling kit first.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts