Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are articles out there about 2008+ trucks installing double din displays and moving their camera output to the screen, but what about our trucks for those who have upgraded to the 2008+ tailgate? There is no wiring harness to use behind the dash or in the kick panel. Tried searching a little but everything comes back for the newer trucks with existing harness. All I have is the tailgate with the handle camera and the pigtail hanging from it.

Does anyone know how, or have first hand experience with putting the video output from the factory camera to a 6.0 generation F250 with an RCA input on the head unit? Tailgate is at the body shop getting resprayed and having a fresh logo installed, but I assume its just 3 wires. So tap power into the reverse lights like aftermarket, and then splice the other 2 into an RCA? Is there an aftermarket option for plugging it into the pigtail so I don't have to cut the wires? Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
This is a project I would also like to complete. I currently have a license plate camera installed to a pioneer head unit but I want to clean up the back end and utilize the tailgate camera. I’m curious if I can use the existing wiring and simply swap the connections to the tailgate camera. May end up taking it to a car audio tech so it gets done nice and clean.

·
Premium Member
10,818 Posts
Use of a trigger wire off the reverse lights (or power switch) to power the camera on would work. You would need some way to configure the head unit to activate when that signal is sent to the head unit.

While I haven't dug into the latest head units it would seem reasonable they are capable of doing what you want with ease.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ok that makes sense. I’m sure that’s the way my aftermarket camera is also wired. I’ll dig into it and report back what I was able to come up with. Thanks for the response.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Ok that makes sense. I’m sure that’s the way my aftermarket camera is also wired. I’ll dig into it and report back what I was able to come up with. Thanks for the response.
I've done this, using a 16 tailgate and camera on my 06 with aftermarket stereo. I did the wiring, install etc.
The Rca cable that runs from the head unit to the current back up camera, is just 2 wires in a common sleeve with the rca jack at either end. When the cable is cut open, you'll be able to see both wires, one is +, the other -. In this case, the rca cable has a 3rd wire, for powering up the camera, that wire is separate frome the rca plug itself, but still embedded in the cable.
I didn't want to cut up a 25' cable, so I used an extension cable to cut up. The camera has corresponding wires. Use a multimeter to figure out which is which.
Then wire it all together. I personally used the reverse trigger wire from the back of the fuse box, but a lot of installers use the back up light for the trigger, either way is fine. I also put a toggle switch between the trigger wire on the head unit, so I can turn the camera off.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts