Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone out there tried adding Acetone to their tanks?

Acetone will supposedly give you several more mpg. It causes your fuel to burn more fully, so you're dumping less exhaust and it will quiet down that diesel rumble (which kinds sucks...).
You're only supposed to mix 2-4 ounces of it to 20 gallons of diesel.

But...what about the injectors, seals, valves, and anything else with RUBBER? Won't Acetone eat it? or is 2-4 ounces mixed to 20 a safe ratio?

·
Super Moderator
31,744 Posts
Heard of it yes. It has to be 100% acetone. Not the stuff you get in the hardware store. Also you have to add 2 stroke oil or vegi oil along with it. Otherwise it takes the lubricity out of the fuel. Its not worth it IMO. Just use a quality additive like stanadyne or opti lube xpd you will be much better off

·
Registered
265 Posts
i seen this done in a offroad mag one time to dodge diesel it did improve the mpg but at what cost i dont know

·
Registered
28 Posts
I tried this in my old ford contour before and it seemed to help MPG a little. I hear it can dry out the rubber seals though. I also ran ethonol in that old car and it ran alright too, smelled like a corn cob, but oh well...
I wont mess with acetone in my truck..too expensive to fix...

·
Registered
275 Posts
DO NOT PUT ACETONE IN YER DIESEL. The short term benefit is not worth the long term hassles. Want more mpg? Tune yer truck properly, get REAL efficiency increasing add ons/aftermarket parts that will help pay for themselves, and keep yer foot out of the firewall.:thumb:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts