Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

This subject has appeared before but not exactly like mine. Today when I started my truck all seemed fine; however, when I press on the accelerator the RPM's do not change - no response. The RPM's in idle seemed a bit high between 1100 to 1300rpm. From what I have read, the truck is in 'guardian mode'.

What has changed? The batteries were a bit low unable to start two days ago. So yesterday I charged the batteries to 100% capacity. This morning, when I took the chargers off, the truck started without incident. Again, the accelerator was unresponsive. I placed the truck in 4WD Low and moved it out of the way and hitched a ride to work. From what I can remember, all the gauges were working correctly and the Check Engine Light was OFF.

When I get home this evening, what should I check? I've seen that the ICP Sensor or the IPR Valve can cause this problem. Where are these located and how can I check?

Summary:
2004 F350 4WD (SRW) 6.0L
Mileage: ~139,000
Idle: higher than normal but smooth
Problem: accelerator not responsive whether in Park, Neutral, or Drive

Any and all feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had same problem years ago. There is a fuse that only controlls the throttle in the fuse block. Mine kept blowing that fuse every now and then. Someone on the forum told me that I had a short in the steering column they were right a spot the size of a pin head caused the problem.Not sure if thats's your problem but it fixed mine.

·
Premium Member
5,731 Posts
When I get home this evening, what should I check? ...
You should scan for codes and post them here.

I had an intermittent throttle issue. No change in RPM, though. So, I don't think that there's much point in me going into my resolution without codes.

Welcome to the ORG, btw.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
DJ,

Thank you for welcoming me to the ORG.

Do you have a preference on a code reader? I had one a few back that I would connect to my PC but have lost it. I will need to replace it.

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
5,731 Posts
I use the Android Torque app on a phone or tablet and a Bluetooth OBDII reader for code pulling and monitoring. It's the bomb.

The problem is that you can't buy the Bluetooth dongle locally, generally. AutoZone/Advance has one, but it uses a proprietary communication and won't work with Torque.

I don't know of a good off-the-shelf recommendation for a straight reader. You might be okay with one of the higher end Actrons, but it's a crap shoot. If you go that route, try to look on the package for specific mention of Ford diesels.

If you can wait a couple of days, my OBDLink LX is excellent.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts