Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been having problems with my 2004 F250 PSD 6.0. They seem to be related but happen at different times.

Problem 1)When I try to push the accelerator past 50% it bogs down and won't accelerate. When I let off it will make a pulsating pressure release noise. Or it could be described as a pulsating rubbing noise until RPMs go down. I can accelerate normally, this just happens when I depress the pedal past 50%.

Problem 2) when cruising and staying at speed, I can here the engine slighting rising and falling. It doesn't change the needle on the Tach, but I can here it isn't running right.

I pulled the EGR out and cleaned it and put back in. The o-rings looked good on it. It was slightly dirty, but not terrible.

It is pretty much fully stock. No mods. It has 103,000 miles. What could this be?

·
Premium Member
3,572 Posts
It sounds like you have one bad injector. Quite often having one weak or nearly dead injector will not be noticed until you ask for more power. The RPM gauge is not accurate enough to determine which cylinder is not contributing correctly.

The noise you hear may be normal as unloading the turbo quickly will cause that type of noise.

In any case, armchair diagnosis is like crystal-balling without diagnostic data. There is a sticky for a no start rough running engine that is the FORD trouble-shooting procedure. I would recommend following it and get a monitor on your truck soonest. If you can't or won't do that, then take it in for a full diagnosis. The tests that can be done are pretty good at finding the problems, specifically the buzz and contribution/power balance tests.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't have a monitor. I took it to an auto parts store last night where they do the free diagnostic test, but no codes came through on their monitor. Are those adequate in detecting problems? My next move was going to take the truck in to get a full check with a diesel mech, but would that be redundant?

If the test at the auto parts store is adequate could the problem be either bad fuel or a dirty injector? And is there anything I can try that might help eliminate that possibility before going to a mechanic?

·
Premium Member
3,572 Posts
If the test at the auto parts store is adequate could the problem be either bad fuel or a dirty injector? And is there anything I can try that might help eliminate that possibility before going to a mechanic?
Their scanner will only pull hard or soft codes. You need someone with an IDS (Ford) diagnostic tool. There are other tools that are less expensive (AE with Ford bundle), but any pro should have the IDS. If they don't have it, don't waste your money.

·
Premium Member
4,512 Posts
sounds turbo related. but a tech worth his weight in salt will know right away after a quick road test while viewing the pertainant PIDs

Reactions: Heavy_GD
1 - 6 of 6 Posts