Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been having troubles with the AC of my truck. It's a 2006 Ford F250 6.0L powerstroke diesel 4x4 superduty king ranch.

I thought I was low on coolant so I bought a charging bottle that connects to the low pressure port on whatever part it plugs into, I don't recall the name as I write this. The guy that sold it said to fill the refrigerant until the gauge on the bottle showed 45lbs pressure. So I did the max air/max AC process, and the bottle gauge showed 45lbs pressure already. This leads me to conclude that the refrigerant is at proper levels, so I'm not sure what the trouble with the AC is.

These are the following behaviors of the AC system to the best of my observation:

When starting the truck, the AC will turn on. I get cool air, but not as cold as I would expect it to be.

The AC runs fine for about half an hour, at 60 degrees or up to 74 degrees. Then the air is no longer cold. This has been on 70 degree days and 98 degree days.

Within the first half hour of driving the truck, if I stop at a light or sign, the air stops blowing cold. When I get moving again, the air will blow cold.

If I park the truck and turn it off, then come back after 10-15 minutes, the air blows cold again, but isn't cold after about 15-30 minutes.

If I notice the air has stopped blowing cold, I will turn the AC off for about 5 minutes. I will then turn the AC on. It blows cold air for about 10 minutes, then the air begins to warm up again.

I appreciate the help. I'm seeking information as to what the exact problem is so I can know what this will cost to repair. I would also like to know if this is a DIY fix or an "absolutely must go to the mechanic" situation. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I’m no mechanic but last year my a/c compressor went out kind of did the same thing then it leaked everything out of the compressor shaft after refilling and trouble shooting. The compressor replacement wasn’t to bad definitely not worth a 750$ labor job that I was quoted from multiple places. I replaced that along with the orifice tube and accumulator for around 300 and spent another 250 having it all vacuumed and filled. I spent more time changing the serpentine belt than the compressor. I hope that helps 550 replaced it all my self minus the vacuum and fill and was quoted 1350 for the same work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.