Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to redo my AC in my 97 F350. New compressor (old one is getting weak according to pressures), new condenser, new accumulator, and new orifice tube.

The question is what is the original color orifice tube for these trucks with R134a refrigerant?

Second question, does anyone have any experience with the variable or auto adjusting orifice tunes?

I live down south. Today was 99F with a feels like of 109F. It gets hot and the AC is just not keeping up. The evaporator was cleaned two months ago when I installed a new blower motor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,031 Posts
Dunno and No (Red is suggested)
But the variable is what is going into mine the next chance I get, it is the closest to a real expansion valve we can get in these trucks
I have never been a fan of fixed orifice tubes -- they only work well under set conditions -- that hardly ever happens in a mobile environment like a truck

The best option would be a real thermostatic expansion valve, but looks like to me the pressure sensitive orifice would be a step up from factory

·
Premium Member
4,062 Posts
Have you removed the orifice tube to check the size? They're cheap enough to get one red and one blue to see which fits. I think mine was red but it's been so long since i've done mine.

Besides the compressor, my AC set up has been ice cold since it was replaced roughly 10yrs ago. Just monitor for leaks and you're set.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have you removed the orifice tube to check the size? They're cheap enough to get one red and one blue to see which fits. I think mine was red but it's been so long since i've done mine.

Besides the compressor, my AC set up has been ice cold since it was replaced roughly 10yrs ago. Just monitor for leaks and you're set.
I haven’t removed it yet because it’s still “kind of “working. It’s not great by any means because the compressor is getting very weak. I just want to get everything I need ready for when I dig into it here in about a week

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Ac compressors don't normally get weak. They either work or they don't. If your pressures are down you should recover your freon to see how much is in the system. R134 works diiferently than r12 and runs at a higher pressure. At 100* you need to see around 40-45 lbs on the low side. A 6.0 fan will help a lot because it will pull more air across the condenser. It was 110 here yesterday and my truck will freeze you out of the cab at 28-30*

·
Registered
328 Posts
I have a similar issue with mine, I believe it's just because the fan doesnt pull enough air across thecondenser, at idle it's cool, but if I turn it to high idle it gets cold, and as I type this my work truck is showing its 105 out. My truck and previous powerstroke would freeze you out running down the interstate but were only cool at low speed, a 6.0 fan is on my too do list. Hell even this 2017 f350 6.2 ac isnt that great at a stand still idle, but same thing for it, it has a mechanical fan.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts