Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! I was wondering about my front wheel abs sensors and bearings and assemblies in general, and here's why....my abs light is on and per the fault code it needs replacing. Now my question is, can I replace just the sensor, or do I have to replace the whole hub assembly? And side question...can the bearing itself be replaced or do I have to replace the whole hub? I appreciate the help and advice!!!

·
Premium Member
2,051 Posts
You can replace just the sensor. Not 100 percent sure, but I beleive you have to replace the whole unit bearing. And buy the way, stick with oem sensors. @fordsvtparts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yes just buy the sensor

Im going to do a write up on this hopefully this weekend with pictures as Im doing my left side today. I replaced the right side sensor last week because it was not showing any wheel speed on my scanner. I have recently found the abs light came on and intermittently the left side loses signal. you must first determine which side is acting up. oreilys has a good sensor for around 65 bucks with life time warranty. ( or you can get cheaper on rock auto)

All you have to do it remove the brake caliper brackets, Brake rotor, and the sensor will be right in front of your face. you will remove the bolt and then you will need to work the sensor out if its rusted in. if it breaks you will have to drill into the sensor and work it out. Most likely it will not break if you are careful and work it side to side. once removed you will need to unwire it from the knuckle to the fender liner. i would put a SMALL AMOUNT of DIELECTRIC grease into the new connector...please only use a small amount or the connector may not snap all the way. MAKE SURE YOU FOLLOW THIS NEXT STEP (I will include this in my write up tonight or this weekend) You will need to clean the rust off of the hub so that the sensor sits flat wear it should be. Just a small amount of rust can cause a intermittent mis read of the tone wheel. once the rust is cleaned up you then install the new sensor and wiring and then your brake parts...

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
while you have that ABS port open you can lube the unit bearing

but partyman is correct the bearings within the unit bearing/Hub are non replaceable
Any recommendation on the best lube/grease to use on the bearing while I'm there?

·
Premium Member
2,051 Posts
What scanner did you use to pull the code. My abs sensor came on a while back and I am bot sure what I need to pull the code.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What scanner did you use to pull the code. My abs sensor came on a while back and I am bot sure what I need to pull the code.
I go back and forth between Torque Pro, OBDLink and Car Diagnostics Pro. But I used Car Diagnostic Pro for the ABS codes. Until recently I also used a cheap eBay Bluetooth OBD adaptor, but I purchased the OBDLink MX Bluetooth adaptor to go with the OBDLink app.

If you do decide to go the cheaper route, just make sure the adaptor is ELM327 compliant.

Car Diagnostic Pro (Enhanced)
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=scantech.cardiagnosticpro

Good luck!

·
Administrator
21,471 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts