Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have trust issues with mechanics because everytime I use one, I get screwed. I needed new ball joints and u-joints and didn't want to deal with it so took to a recommended mechanic.

When I got it back my right front abs sensor was bad. Mechanic said he'd fix it for the cost of the sensor. Well, screw that, I'll just do it my self. I found they had installed such that the wire rubbed through on the rotor.

So, I replaced it and took for test drive. ABS light isn't coming on but I get the soft code c1145 (abs). Also, when I graph all 4 abs sensors in torque pro, 1 of them (abs 4) is at 0. I believe this is the same one that was zero before. However, I did some research and it sounds like my truck may only have 3 sensors (1 in back diff). So maybe abs 4 is supposed to be zero? I'm just looking for a sanity check on this.

Also, while in there I noticed that the seal around the axle in the knuckle seems cockeyed. Attaching a pic to show what I mean. This was done by the mechanic. Is this a problem? Do I need to bring back in, or can I just love tap that in to what I think will be seated properly? Hopefully you can see, there's a centerline ridge that I would assume should be seated to the face of the knuckle? Part of it is nearly there, the rest is sticking out.

·
Premium Member
3,058 Posts
I have trust issues with mechanics because everytime I use one, I get screwed. I needed new ball joints and u-joints and didn't want to deal with it so took to a recommended mechanic.

When I got it back my right front abs sensor was bad. Mechanic said he'd fix it for the cost of the sensor. Well, screw that, I'll just do it my self. I found they had installed such that the wire rubbed through on the rotor.

So, I replaced it and took for test drive. ABS light isn't coming on but I get the soft code c1145 (abs). Also, when I graph all 4 abs sensors in torque pro, 1 of them (abs 4) is at 0. I believe this is the same one that was zero before. However, I did some research and it sounds like my truck may only have 3 sensors (1 in back diff). So maybe abs 4 is supposed to be zero? I'm just looking for a sanity check on this.

Also, while in there I noticed that the seal around the axle in the knuckle seems cockeyed. Attaching a pic to show what I mean. This was done by the mechanic. Is this a problem? Do I need to bring back in, or can I just love tap that in to what I think will be seated properly? Hopefully you can see, there's a centerline ridge that I would assume should be seated to the face of the knuckle? Part of it is nearly there, the rest is sticking out.

View attachment 771505

View attachment 771506
If I remember correctly, that is the old style seal. Ford updated it a few years ago. But I have a 2006 truck. I don’t know what year model you own. That may be up to date for 03-04. It is only a dust seal, so not very critical. I would probably try to lift the axle and push it in place, but it will push out again. I am just ocd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.