Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I was driving home from work on 95 and my ABS light comes on. I didn't really think much of it since nothing was changing, I tried pumping the brakes just to see if a pad was not engaging or engaging at the wrong time, nothing happened.

Went to drive her this morning and I get out of the neighborhood and go to brake and I had to hit it at hard as I could and nothing happen. I pushed harder until I put all I could into it and it let go and hit the brakes.

The whole way to work no issues after that.

I was thinking there may be a bubble in one of the brake lines because of the pressure build up but I kinda stumped at the moment.

Any Ideas?

·
Premium Member
14,491 Posts
That would be scary! Could you be out of brake fluid?

·
Premium Member
9,392 Posts
the abs and actual manual brakes are really two different systems, the abs light may be on due to a sensor going bad , regular braking will not be effected, get the codes pulled and that will tell ya which sensor it is, more than likey its the one in the top of the rear end

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Appreciate the help, gonna go check the fluid today.

I kinda thought it was a sensor too until I was having some issues braking this morning. Gonna go to BaddBoyz trucks in woodbridge to get it checked out. Could have just been a pad dragging or something.

·
Premium Member
9,392 Posts
Appreciate the help, gonna go check the fluid today.

I kinda thought it was a sensor too until I was having some issues braking this morning. Gonna go to BaddBoyz trucks in woodbridge to get it checked out. Could have just been a pad dragging or something.
the abs light will not come on due to any mechanical brake issues such as pads or rotors, its gonna be an electrical or sensor problem, the only time it would come on due to a mechanical brake issue is if the bearing came out the front ,causing the rotor to get sideways or something and damaged the sensor

·
Premium Member
14,491 Posts
the abs and actual manual brakes are really two different systems, the abs light may be on due to a sensor going bad , regular braking will not be effected, get the codes pulled and that will tell ya which sensor it is, more than likey its the one in the top of the rear end
Question, I was thinking the sensor on the rear-end as well, but that normally wouldn't cause braking issues, right?

·
Premium Member
9,392 Posts
oh yeah forgot to address that part , if the abs module was the problem or the wheel speed sensor (more apt to be on the front )and it was trying to make an abs stop , then the pedal could possibly feel funny , if it were my truck, i would get the abs portion diagnosed and fixed and then drive it and see if there were any more problems

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
k so consensus is sensor is bad, appreciate the help. I will update when I can get out there today to look at it.

Any other reasons it would make it so I couldn't hit the brakes like that? or rather that they would not release? I mean I used the brakes coming out of the driveway but 5 minutes down the road at the first stoplight it got stuck,

who knows maybe I'm just being paranoid cuz I have really bad luck when it comes to these things.

·
Registered
26 Posts
A couple years ago there was a recall on the HCU for the ABS brakes on our buses that stated these symptoms. I can't remember the brand of that HCU but I would have the ABS diagnostics done.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts