Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Truck has 70,000 mi and I made a right turn and the front end started squeeling bad. It wasn't bad driving straight but real bad while turning. Fortunately I was almost home.
I jacked up the truck and spun the tires and nothing. No noise at all. Everything was tight. Drove it about 200yards and no noise.:dunno:
Now my ABS light is on. I have had speedo issues for about 10,000mi. In the am speedo doesnt work, it stops at different speeds but begins to work after about 15mi.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mr. Rick:
Try checking the speed sensor. I am not sure where the speed sensor is on the 6.0 but on my old F350 it was in the rear diff. I had a similar problem on a older F350 and found the speed sensor loaded with small bits of metal. I would guess this is normal wear of the posi or just metal from normal wear. I cleaned the sensor and found that resolved the problem. This should take you no more than 5 minutes if you have any tools. Let me know if it solves your problem

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Dan. I will check it out.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
2 Posts
I guess that would suggest the speed sensor is on the front wheels for the 6.0. The speed sensor and/or the ABS may pick up the their data from the front wheels. My BMW uses the front wheel sensor for ABS and speed pick up. I have found the Sensor pick up on the BMW loaded with iron dust and have cleaned them to resolve and prevent ABS problems.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The speed sensor is on the rear diff. I took it off and it has no moving parts so I'm assuming cleaning wont do anything.
I suppose wheel bearings.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK, I just drove it 2 mi and it didn't squeel. The ABS light was off until I turned a circle to the left at full lock. The light came on then went off. It didn't do it turning right.

·
International Threat
13,087 Posts
The squeeling for me was the rotor being pressed into the brakes because the dying wheel bearing allowed it to have some play.

There are also wheel speed sensors in each knuckle if your 06 is like the 04 and older superduties. There may also be up to 2 more sensors ON your transmission!

·
International Threat
13,087 Posts
I'd venture to say though your squeal and ABS light may not have been related... and I'd also venture to say it's not a w/b b/c once it starts squealing it's usually LOUD and gets worse!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I guess I will see how it does tomorrow. I will be pulling a 23,000lb load 200mi.

·
International Threat
13,087 Posts
Man what a load! Best of luck! Do you know anyone with Auto Enginuity or similar? If so you could probably pull the code, determine the problem, and fix it before it becomes something more serious!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hmmm.
Marc, you listening buddy?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts