Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Don't mind me
27,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The wife and I are talking about getting a little Mudder and we have been talking about either a Samurai or a Jeep. But today it kinda dawned on me :doh: Wheel base is as important on a mudder sooo that me thinking about some alternatives. For about the same price as a Jeep I can get a Regular Cab 12 valve Cummins or a Super Cab OBS 7.3. I guess I was just wondering what everybody out there is using as mudders. The Samurai is by far and away the best deal but the bigger trucks got me thinking. Any inputs?

·
Registered
164 Posts
go 12v they go thru nud like its nobodys business stock make much more power and smoke than an obs 7.3 and sit higher than the obs also but dont buy a 12v unless its a 5 speed because the trannys go way too fast i have a obs and my buddie has a 12v and it will walk all over my truck anywhere we go my truck is an ex cad lb 4x4 built auto and he has a reg cab auto but the tranny no longer works after we hooked bumpers an his tranny went but right before that he pulled me arround like nothing giving my truck all kinds of hell then his already bady trans smoked sorry for the book but my vote goes to the 12v just my 2 cents

·
Registered
84 Posts
If you want to talk Samurais talk to texcrawler... ive ridden in his it is an awsome machine that will go any where you want it to, he put about 10 grand in it and it can literally go any where he wants it (well almost anywhere) you should see the pics he has of it.... hes had a couple write ups in some four wheel magazines

·
International Threat
13,087 Posts
if you want a mudder... go with something light, big tires, deep gears, and big power.

Diesel might not be the best option in this case (remember the weight)... a higher revving GAS motor would be cheaper and you'll probably end up trashing the truck so no need to mess up an oil burner :)

A buddy of mine has an old Chevy 2500/3500??? SRW regular cab with a 400+ ci motor with 36's and lockers front a rear. Goes like nobody's business!

·
Don't mind me
27,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Samurai that we are looking at looks much more capable for about half the cost. $8000 for everything else built Samurai $2500 with 4.3 gears and lockers.

·
7.3 tech, supporter
1,224 Posts
I like my little BII dirt cheap little trucks and with the right mods can be very capable trucks. I got an 85 f-150 too that has loads more power (400+hp) than my little bronco but I like it alot. But then again I don't do a whole lot of mudding, more of a trail running kinda guy.

But as the old saying goes, baskin robins makes 31 flavors for a reason.

·
Registered
69 Posts
i like jeeps my self but when your talking mudding are you talking drags or just trail rig/mudder.

I would go with skinny tire for what ever you plan on. I think a Geo would work great:crazy:

I no nothing about it but i think it is a S-10 frame and stuff

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Just throw some 37x11 boggers on your truck and call it a day!!!!!!!!!! You will be able to go anywhere you want.

·
Don't mind me
27,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good call but her butt is to wide to fit down the trails required to get to the good mud holes.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
pros and cons both ways, 12 valve will already be built with strong axles but weighs a lot, Samurai will be under powered and with bigger tires the axles won't hold up but it will be light, so many options

·
Registered
767 Posts
I have a 78' F150 with dana 60's f/r with 5.13 gears 44" boggers and a bb460 with about 400hp it will go anywhere but not much on trail riding.

·
Don't mind me
27,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm not much on trail riding either but in Western WA all of the good mud holes are at the end of glorified quad trails. May be able to fit a full size truck on them but not without some damage that is why the price matter. Rather not beat up a $15K truck.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
build you a cab truck, S10 body on a full size 3/4 or 1 ton frame, big tires, see it all the time down here in Bama

·
Registered
590 Posts
I got your DADDY right here!

Here is my 87' Samurai, Toyota axles, 529 front and rear detroit lockers, custom shackle reverse, 2 1/2 lifted 4404's, Rancho 9000's, Trail Tough 6.5.1 t-case, 36x12.5x15 Super Swamper SX's, 8000 lb winch, interior roll cage, Toyota Power Steering, hyro assist. Sidekick 1.6 16 Valve, 115 amp altinator, Doug Thourly chrome header, 4x4 Labs High steer w/D60 tie rod ends

·
Registered
590 Posts

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
id stick with gasserz for muddin. personaly i would get an full size 90's bronco slap a 4 inch lift and 35's under her and you could have a mean mudder and trail rig for about 4-5 thousand. plus theres room for the kiddies. the factory gears are a little tall for 35's but 4 low works great for that.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
id stick with gasserz for muddin. personaly i would get an full size 90's bronco slap a 4 inch lift and 35's under her and you could have a mean mudder and trail rig for about 4-5 thousand. plus theres room for the kiddies. the factory gears are a little tall for 35's but 4 low works great for that.
I agree, slap in a built 351 Windsor and front and rear lockers and these things will go pretty good.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts