Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know we are unable to have a dealer adjust the fuel tank size so the "miles to empty" reads correctly.

I have a Titan 67 gal tank and would absolutely love to be able to do this!!!! I know with the H&S tuner you can adjust the TPMS/Speed limiter/Tire size. Why not the fuel tank??? I know a lot of guys install larger tanks or a second tank. How many of you would like the ability to do this?

How about it? Spartan? H&S? Can you do it?

Kyle

·
Premium Member
3,940 Posts
I take it hitting the two buttons to reset it doesn't work?

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No because the computer is calculating the "miles to empty" based on a 35 gal tank and your average fuel milage. With the 67 gal Titan tank it never reads correctly.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Until it gets down to 35 gallons or whatever stock size is for the vehicle. Even still, it's only as accurate as the LOM, which is notoriously inaccurate, especially after being tuned.

Sent from my EVO using AutoGuide App

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Until it gets down to 35 gallons or whatever stock size is for the vehicle. Even still, it's only as accurate as the LOM, which is notoriously inaccurate, especially after being tuned.

Yes and no...

The reason is because the factory tank was 35 gal for my truck, and in the titan tank the factory float and sending unit are reused. So in the 67 gal tank when there is 67 gallons in the tank the float is all the way up. Telling the computer the tank is full with 35 gallons. As the fuel level decreases the float drops. 35 gallons is 52% of 67 gallons, so the float is half way down, and is indicated as such on the factory fuel gauge. So at half (actually 35 gallons) the truck thinks I am at 17.5 gallons and calculates the miles to empty as such. So it actually doesn't read incorrectly until there is 35 gallons remaining in the tank.

The way I understand how the "miles to empty" works is that it takes the amount of miles you traveled from you last tank of fuel and tries to calculate (based on that MPG) how far you will be able to go with the current tank.

So if I could set the computer in the truck to know that I have a 67 gallon tank instead of 35 gallons, and when the fuel float is at half I have 33.5 gallons left then my distance to empty will be accurate.

As small of an inconvenience this may seem it's annoying. I really don't like to make changes to the truck that affect day to day drivability. But the advantage of a larger tank outweighed the inconvenience in this instance. When I found out with H&S tuner you could adjust for tire size, adjust the pressure thresholds in the tires for the TPMS or disable it entirely, and adjust the limited speed of the truck, I thought why not the size of the fuel tank!

·
Premium Member
3,940 Posts
I'm thinking that the tank size is hard coded into the LOM itself so there would be no way to use a tuner to change it.

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I sure hope not!

I don't see why it would be different than adjusting the pressure thresholds on the TPMS? :dunno:

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
The way I understand how the "miles to empty" works is that it takes the amount of miles you traveled from you last tank of fuel and tries to calculate (based on that MPG) how far you will be able to go with the current tank.
It's actually based on the running average of the last 500 miles travelled, not the last fill up.

I see your point though regarding the float and understand better what your asking.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's actually based on the running average of the last 500 miles travelled, not the last fill up.

That makes more sense. I knew it was something like that, it's been a while since I have read the manual. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Can't go wrong with the analog fuel gauge. There's a reason why mechanical 12 valves fetch so much money even when they're falling apart with 400k+ miles, interiors that look like a bomb went off inside, and panels that are so rusted, you'd think it sank with the Titanic.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
True, but technology is a wonderful thing. Like LED's ;)

Edit: I was kinda hoping there would be more of a want for something like this. Anyone with a larger than stock tank want the ability to adjust this?

I know you can take a 6.0 and the newer 6.7's to a dealer and have them re-calibrate for a larger tank. For some reason this is not an option for the 6.4's...

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
LEDs do have some drawbacks. Since there is very little heat emitted, they ice up and cake up with snow pretty quickly in the winter. Have to get out of the truck and scrape the lights off. Where's technology on this one? :p

If I bought a Titan or other larger replacement tank, I'd definitely want the digital gauge/km or miles to empty to be adjusted accordingly. I don't blame you for wanting it as it's something I'd want. Just don't think it's a primary concern since you still have an analog gauge. At one time, there was only an analog gauge.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You could come down here to FL! No ice and snow here!

·
Registered
96 Posts
LEDs do have some drawbacks. Since there is very little heat emitted, they ice up and cake up with snow pretty quickly in the winter. Have to get out of the truck and scrape the lights off. Where's technology on this one? :p

If I bought a Titan or other larger replacement tank, I'd definitely want the digital gauge/km or miles to empty to be adjusted accordingly. I don't blame you for wanting it as it's something I'd want. Just don't think it's a primary concern since you still have an analog gauge. At one time, there was only an analog gauge.
I don't know what city you're in, but St. Albert they switched all the traffic lights to LED's and were having problems with them icing up and people getting into accidents.

Florida sounds nice, but not a whole lot of jobs down there

Sent from my iPad using Autoguide

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Funny you say that. I work out of state, but am fortunate enough to live here.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
You could come down here to FL! No ice and snow here!
That's not what the grocery store tells me when I go to buy orange juice and it's $10 for a gallon. Florida is too humid. I like to visit my parents in Scottsdale, AZ. It's perfect. Nice and dry down there. No hurricanes or tropical storms. I'll stop derailing the thread now.

·
Registered
26 Posts

Edit: I was kinda hoping there would be more of a want for something like this. Anyone with a larger than stock tank want the ability to adjust this?

I know you can take a 6.0 and the newer 6.7's to a dealer and have them re-calibrate for a larger tank. For some reason this is not an option for the 6.4's...
I to have a larger tank and would like to see a fix for this. It's not huge concern but it would be nice for sure

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Now we're talking! Who else?

H&S and Spartan you have at least two paying customers for something like this! lol

·
Yeah it's a Turbo Diesel
4,156 Posts
I know you want to use the stock fuel gauge, buy if you can't, then get an edge cts insight, and use the add on to monitor the fuel level. at least that's what I'm leading tonreadingthe description. I use the pressure sensor to watch the psi level on my air tank, works great!

Edge Products| Product

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
can you remount the float to a lower location so its all the way up at 34 gal....it would then read full for the first 37 then start reading correctly.....

1 - 20 of 24 Posts