Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
*Disclaimer

this is not another for or against debate on using 2 stroke oil in diesels and the article is not using US Diesel but the article is a very good read none the less and I' am curious what others think AFTER YOU READ IT.... and this is not the fuel additive test result floating around Google that everyone brings up.

2-Stroke Oil In Diesel ? A Technical Study

I was actually quite impressed and I hope they do another study with diesel produced and sold in the U.S.

I will be contacting them as well.

Reactions: ZMANN

·
Super Moderator
19,753 Posts
That's a pretty good article. I'm going to read it again. Probably missed some things. I'm going to look at the graphs again too. A bit confusing, but I think if I go over it again, I'll figure it out.

I've used two-stroke oil in mine. Seems quieter when I run it. Haven't seen any mileage difference. Just me.

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
This isn't the first time I've heard of 2 stroke oil fouling injectors. I used to mix it with my fuel, but I had two injectors with less than 8,000 miles on them hang and cause white haze. Now I just run Opti-Lube and archoil with premium diesel (cenex roadmaster or quicktrip gold) and haven't had to replace any injectors since (did I just jinx myself?). I honestly couldn't tell the difference in sound, mileage, or obviously injector longevity, lol. With that said, I cannot prove that two injector failures were caused by 2 stroke oil so I will NOT use that as a scare tactic to keep people from using it. I mostly switched because of the rumors around injector fouling and the fact that opti-lube has much better anti-wear protection than 2 stroke oil at 200:1 according to the lubricity additive study floating around the web. Also, take into consideration that some of the more reputable and premium fuels are treated fairly well. RoadMaster XL sold by the local Co-op adds soybean oil and claims 47-49 cetane level. I'd be curious how that compares against the base stock "dry" diesel fuel used in the aforementioned test.

Until someone has the time, funding, and resources available to do a comprehensive laboratory study the entire lubrication debate is basically an argument about whether the dress is black and blue or white and gold...

·
Administrator
30,927 Posts
First questions I have without digging in to a study that uses non US Deisel

what is the angle they have for this test ? just nice guys ? or ?

what 2 stroke did thy use was it TCW3 rated like most of us would use ?

that being said I ran a synthetic TCW3 2stroke about 4 times and while it did make the truck audibly quieter IMO I fouled 2 injectors at the same time and never tried it again

·
Premium Member
9,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not a lot of information as to who they are for or against to be honest. I found a very interesting article where Mercedes was doing a run from thee factory all the way to beyjing and the test was to prove how good their e class diesel was but somethig popped up about them using two stroke oil becuase the diesel in Russia was bad and they didn't want to risk an engine failure during the test.

And I also found a 84 page thread about VW diesels using a conventional two stroke oil for years and these VW guys are just as active as the org lol.

I know for me personally I noticed an dramatic noise difference on my 6.0. Not as much on my 7.3, but I'm still getting used to it becuase it's like apples to oranges lol.

Thanks for your input and looking forward to what others think after reading.

·
Registered
866 Posts
It's interesting that the 2SO seemed to improve the SAMD (South Afician Market Diesel) more than the European diesel.
Also as far as the injector fouling test they
1) only tested European diesel treated and untreated with one 2SO
2) only did the test one time
3) had no control other than straight European diesel
4) they also stated that the Diesel in this test had no detergent added

They stated no measurable benifit from 2SO, however they measured benifit on both wear tests and measured disadvantage on the injector fouling test.

The generally accepted practice for conclusive results are a double blind triple test with a control.

Conclusion,
Depending on who is paying for said testing and to what end will result in what tests are done, and published to prove or disprove whatever the point of the test is.

Also they are correct on the intended purpose of 2S0 and it is not for 4 stroke direct injection diesel engine fuel systems.
However my 6.0 was noticeably quieter with TCW3 added to the fuel @ .5oz/gallon ish.

We also know per the 07 testing on lubricity that biodiesel was the most lubricious of all products tested, but it is not always readily available. Also neither of these products improve cetain, remove water, or prevent gelling.

The higher likely hood of fouling injectors would greatly outweigh any lubricating benifit of 2S0 imho. Tcw3 is designed to leave a lubricating film behind after and during combustion.

Zink is a popular motor oil additive to help increase lubricity. Zinc is also a ***** metal, ie anodes, galvanizing and such. Zinc likes to bond to iron.

Last point, water and intrained air is detrimental to the fuels ability to lubricate.
*I ain't no rocket surgeon but I did pass high school chemistry and AP calculus... even though I think they are partly right I don't think they showed all there work.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Also fwiw super tech tcw3 for 200:1 ratio cost about 6.5c/gallon or 24 oz per 38 gallon tank. Ar6200 is about 7c/gallon. Optilube is about 7.5c/gallon at the "extreem lubricating" treatment rate of 1oz:4gal.
I know one of the biggest arguments of using tcw3 is ease of availability but in reality they all cost about the same.

Apparently evenrude e-tec(2 stroke direct injection outboard) has injector fouling issues as well. And running cheap oil(ie supertech ) in your 2 stroke will gum up the works.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts