Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many would buy a second 6.0 compared to worrying about the worse mpg and the emission fines from removing the dpf on a 6.4? I am going to be in the market for another truck and will have about $30k for a budget. Should I try and find a low mileage 06-07 and do the work or look at a 6.4?

·
Registered
23 Posts
If it was me I would lean towards the 6.0. You should be able to do everything you need to and still come in under that budget.

Also you are already familiar with the 6.0 AND if anything goes wrong on one you can try a part off the working one as part of the diagnosis.

Lastly, anytime I think about ditching emissions equipment I fell like it's only a matter of time until that option is no longer street legal. A la CA.

win win in my book.

·
Premium Member
20,351 Posts
I would probably go up to a newer truck... and the 6.4 is balls out powerful :evillol:

·
Registered
4,566 Posts
Thats a tough call to be honest. Both engines have their quirks. I think for me it would really depend on the emissions on my state. I could do the deletes and not worry about it for emissions then I would probably go for the 6.4. If not, 6.0 it is!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Ya I agree. 6.0, everything is so well known on it now. 6.4 would be a gamble for me considering the horrible mileage out of the box. Possible that it can be corrected but I would not want to risk it. I also think the bottom end is a lot tougher on a 6.0.

·
Registered
232 Posts

I browse the 6.4 section and posts regarding cracked blocks, thrown rods and junk like that are too plentiful.

140K on my truck and still good to go. I want a 6.0 excursion too.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The idea of a newer truck is nice but since I will void any warranty as soon as I do any performance work I will loose that aspect of a newer vehicle. I do kno a lot of the issues with the 6.0, and am currently planning on adding the complete bulletproof kit. I kno the 6.4 can be a monster but I can't stand the thought of dealing with a regen.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts