Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read a few threads here about setting the TMPS, or changing the setting range to keep the tires from working as over inflated. I found this info on another forum used for several Ford Models. It looks like this method allowed for the programing of the tire's PSI lower limit. Also this method does not use the handheld programmer. Getting the TMPS system into program mode is a bit different but the rest of the functionality looks the same:

No need to go and buy the TPMS learning tool.

1) Make sure your tires are inflated to the recommended psi. Mine is 40psi.

2) Turn ignition to the on position. If you have a push button start, push the start button without pressing the brake pedal.

3) Push the hazard light button 6 times. The horn should honk and you should see "Train left front tire" in the LCD display between the tach and speedo.

4) Release air pressure in the front left tire until you hear the horn honk. The LCD display should now read "Train right front tire".

5) Release air pressure in the right front tire until you hear the horn honk.

6) Repeat for the the right rear tire, and then the left rear tire.

7) You should now see "Training Complete" in the LCD display.

8) Fill your tires back up to the recommended pressure.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Not sure how I missed this but if it works this is great!

Reactions: Bigtwinharley

·
Registered
26 Posts
Not sure how I missed this but if it works this is great!
The light was on when i got the truck from the dealer. I was told that it has been sitting for few days and that's why the light was on, they told me it would go away by the time I get home. Drove home light still on. I was not going to drive 100 miles to have them reset it. So I retrain it and so far the light have been off.

·
Registered
179 Posts
So this works to train the system for a lower pressure than what is marked on the door tag? If so this is great as I am getting ready to ditch the stock 80psi michelin tires.

·
Registered
26 Posts
So this works to train the system for a lower pressure than what is marked on the door tag? If so this is great as I am getting ready to ditch the stock 80psi michelin tires.
When I let the air out at 50 psi the horn sound and I left it like that and the light has not came on yet. I drove it around 50 miles no light. Now all my tires are set at 50 psi.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Has anyone found a DIY way to train the system to new sensors?

Sent from my iPad

·
Registered
138 Posts
Very interesting

·
Registered
179 Posts
Yes very interesting thanks for the information!

·
Registered
363 Posts
This is to train for new or rotated sensors. It doesn't lower the setpoint. I think 50 is the stock setpoint.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I have 37" tires I am running about 40 in the front and 35 in the rear.

·
Registered
100 Posts
On my truck door showing 70 psi front and 80 psi rear. I had my set at 60 front 70 rear, felt lot better than 70/80 psi.
Ok so did you lower any tire pressure before the process? or lowered it 50 from 70 during the process?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Ok so did you lower any tire pressure before the process? or lowered it 50 from 70 during the process?
Light was on when I got the truck. Didn't check tires pressure so I put it at 70 on all tires, still light was on. what I did was hit the hazard six time than let the air out front left until the horn sound than next front right, rear right, last rear left. Light went off. I than fill the front two tire up to 60 and the rear at 70. So far it has been few days already no light.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have read a few threads here about setting the TMPS, or changing the setting range to keep the tires from working as over inflated. I found this info on another forum used for several Ford Models. It looks like this method allowed for the programing of the tire's PSI lower limit. Also this method does not use the handheld programmer. Getting the TMPS system into program mode is a bit different but the rest of the functionality looks the same:

No need to go and buy the TPMS learning tool.

1) Make sure your tires are inflated to the recommended psi. Mine is 40psi.

2) Turn ignition to the on position. If you have a push button start, push the start button without pressing the brake pedal.

3) Push the hazard light button 6 times. The horn should honk and you should see "Train left front tire" in the LCD display between the tach and speedo.

4) Release air pressure in the front left tire until you hear the horn honk. The LCD display should now read "Train right front tire".

5) Release air pressure in the right front tire until you hear the horn honk.

6) Repeat for the the right rear tire, and then the left rear tire.

7) You should now see "Training Complete" in the LCD display.

8) Fill your tires back up to the recommended pressure.
I don't get it. At what pressure does the horn honk? And why would I want to refill the tires to recommended pressure, I'm interested in learning a lower pressure.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It looks like he started at 70 psi. Used the hazard switch to get the truck into tire pressure calibration mode. Then let the air out till the horn honked, followed around the truck the same way (left front, right front, right rear, left rear).

I did post this method I found it on another web page. I am guessing you need to get the truck into calibration mode using the hazard switch. I see that it is working for a broad range of rigs. Step 2 and 3, for me is the tricky part. I will give those two steps another try, perhaps now that folks are finding success they can cover the steps with updates if necessary.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I gave my 2008, F350 another try tonight, along with more web research.
I found that the hazard switch method appears to indicate you can relearn your tire pressure without the tool. Some folks suggested this is a feature of the newer Fords.
So if you can get the hazard switch to get you into the training mode you are gold. I did see two different switch methods, either 3 times or 6 times.

On my 2008 I could only get the truck into learn mode by using the key switch (three on/off, brake pedal on the last on, then 3 more on/off, staying on on, one horn honk and display prompt for learning left front). If the truck sat too long the transmitters would go to sleep to save batteries and so you need to drive the truck for a couple minutes to wake it up. So if you are having trouble getting into train mode, drive it first.

I could teach the truck with the transmitter/tool but not by letting air out. I could teach at 60 psi however.

Note that folks who want to teach for different tires, see if you can use a new version of the tire transmitter, from what I have read those have adjustable ranges (one part number transmitter can then be used on any vehicle).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts