Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be trading my current truck for a 2000 PSD F350 crew cab srw 2wd auto. The drive train is stock. This truck was my father inlaws he got it to pull a 36ft 5er. The truck has been trouble free and has a 100k on the clock. They took one long cross country trip in it pulling the trailer. Then maybe a few more local trips no more than a 100 miles total. With that being said I would really like some help as I am new to diesels. I do plan to use the truck to pull the 5er that came in the deal. The 5er wieghs about 12k loaded. First I will change the oil and rear end diff. Next I will do the coolant. The first mod I want to do is a larger tranny cooler. So here are some questions. What oil is Delo 400 le ok ? Coolant wise what do I need to get ? I have read on here about a 6.0l tranny cooler. I have not been able to find one yet. Thanks for your help.

·
Lubrication Addict
236 Posts
Delo is a great oil. Lots of Moly! Moly is good.
Your 2000 PSD came with green antifreeze. You can stick with the green or change to an ELC-> extended life coolant= less worring about. I think there are some Heavy Duty green coolants that are best, if you stick with the green. One that comes to mind is Prestone-Black Gal Jug, if you can find it. Any Big Truck Stop or Truck Supply Store should stock the Heavy Duty Green. Believe me all green antifreezes are not the same.
Might think about adding a Coolant filter, Bob at the Diesel Site has a nice system.

The 6.0L trans cooler is perfect for our 7.3L, ya might have good luck on ebay. The price has jumped up quite a bit, since the demand for them has rose. They will mount in the same mounting holes as the factory unit. Ya might have to change the fittings to a larger size? I can't remember.

Make sure you use a name brand synthetic in your rearend-->75W-140, esp if your going to be pulling that 5th alot. Check to see if you have a Limited Slip in that rearend as well. Ya might have to add a bottle or 2 of friction modifier.

If you use the Delo? you should be able to go 5k miles between oil changes easy.
Rotella or M1 Delvac are both top notch as well.

Congrats on your new Truck.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
welcome to the org :icon_ford:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help. I wont be doing alot of towing. But during the summer I will. I see guages and a tuner in my near future cause this truck is kind of a dog.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If I use this Prestone-Black Gal Jug do I need to put in the Ford additive ?

·
Premium Member
14,491 Posts
:welcome1::welcome1::welcome1::welcome1::welcome1::welcome1:

·
Registered
190 Posts
Welcolme to the org:ORG welcome: Lots of luck with your truck theres a wealth of info on this site and some great people:thumb:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks! I am trying to take it all in. Fluid change first, then the toys.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Agreed. I want some cool looking gauges.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Welcome to the club

1 - 13 of 13 Posts