Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey y'all,

After spending countless days in multiple forums to do my research I now finally decided to sign up to the one that popped up the most when I was looking into all the issues I'm trying to fix.

My rig is an 2005 E-350 super duty with a 6.0 that I bought for around US$1700 with around 150k miles on the clock. It's a bit different than most, since it has the aerodynamic fibreglass cab with barn doors in the back. I upfitted it as a fully self-sustaining home on wheels and I called him Harrison, like in Harrison Ford. It is my full time home and I love it!

I don't want to steal my roadpal's show, but I also want to introduce myself here, too.

I'm a '93 born German that followed the beaten path up until he got his Bachelor Certificate for robotic engineering. Shortly after (2018) I decided to fly to Canada with one way ticket to explore the incredible places on this continent and to pursue my passions for Photography. Fast forward a couple of years, I am now on the West Coast of Canada, living in an Off-Grid Rig during a pandemic. Don't mean to flex, but I feel like I'm pretty well set up to just drive into the woods and wait it out.

However, after already fixing a whole bunch of things on the van thanks to all of you, I'm happy to join the community to continue this build together and give the things back that I learned throughout the past months!

In terms of knowledge I'm pretty sure I can help especially on the electrical side of things.

Thanks for having me, cheers!

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
Welcome max. Good resources here if you have troubles with the van.

where are you camping out?

if you’re looking for adventure and photography, I’d highly recommend heading up north. Go up through the Banff and jasper parks. head up the Alaska highway up to Whitehorse, Dawson, then all the way to Tuk. There’s a year round road there now. Beautiful scenery the whole way. Watch for grizzly and polar bears - that I’m not kidding about, read up on the polars before you go. Summer they are off the ice back on land. Look around outside before you go out, not trying to scare you, just healthy advice.

head up the Dempster (Locally known as the Dumpster) from Dawson to Eagle Plains to Inuvik to Tuk. Beautiful drive. The flowers through the plains up there bloom in mid/late summer. Call ahead to see when the river crossings open up to ferries from the ice roads. Not sure how it is up there this year. But the ice goes out late, I’ve run the ice roads in late April. It is just as nice up there in the winter too. Sometimes nicer imho. Dawson is a lot more active in the summer, as is Whitehorse. They are both great towns.

Good luck, happy adventures!

Edit: not sure what is happening up there right now with everything that is going on. Lots of places are are probably shut down. Call ahead.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Welcome max. Good resources here if you have troubles with the van.

where are you camping out?

if you’re looking for adventure and photography, I’d highly recommend heading up north. Go up through the Banff and jasper parks. head up the Alaska highway up to Whitehorse, Dawson, then all the way to Tuk. There’s a year round road there now. Beautiful scenery the whole way. Watch for grizzly and polar bears - that I’m not kidding about, read up on the polars before you go. Summer they are off the ice back on land. Look around outside before you go out, not trying to scare you, just healthy advice.

head up the Dempster (Locally known as the Dumpster) from Dawson to Eagle Plains to Inuvik to Tuk. Beautiful drive. The flowers through the plains up there bloom in mid/late summer. Call ahead to see when the river crossings open up to ferries from the ice roads. Not sure how it is up there this year. But the ice goes out late, I’ve run the ice roads in late April. It is just as nice up there in the winter too. Sometimes nicer imho. Dawson is a lot more active in the summer, as is Whitehorse. They are both great towns.

Good luck, happy adventures!

Edit: not sure what is happening up there right now with everything that is going on. Lots of places are are probably shut down. Call ahead.
Thank you for the welcoming words!

I currently am on Vancouver Island, hoping to lay low here for a bit to wait for everything to blow over. I have heard lots about the North, it's definitely on the list!
The past year I have been living in Canmore and Calgary, so Banff and Jasper are already ticked off. The year before that I covered a lot of ground between Montreal and Alberta.

Yeah I'm with my "vroommates" (convoy of 3 vans, 5 people total) since pre-covid. All the sites (campgrounds, rec sites) to stay overnight are shutting down, so we're looking to temporarily rent a piece of property somewhere out in the woods. Also avoiding to move between communities is what we want in times like these. We don't really mind being stationary for a bit.

We will check one out tomorrow.
Would be ideal to finally find a place so I can finally tackle some engine work (turbo clean, new unison ring, new intercooler boots, blue spring). Not that I don't mind doing the work in a Costco parking lot (did clean out the EBP tube and sensor there). But it's quite stressing having in mind that I need to be ready to move any time.

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
Ps.

Meant to mention, nice rig you set up. I used to do a lot of those types of adventures too years ago. Nothing like camping out under the stars in the box of a truck in the middle of nowhere.

Always a good time.

Enjoy!

·
Super Moderator
19,346 Posts
Welcome to the ORG!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts