Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I finaly washed my ex, for the first time in a few months, and I've noticed a few new scratches. I have a black excursion so any scratch is noticeable. I was wondering what you guys use or do to help cover up or remove the scrathes.

Thanks

·
Stupidity pisses me off
3,881 Posts
Any good brand rubbing compound, and there is actually one for dark, black vehicles, then "finish" it with a good finishing glaze, they make one (3M I think) for black vehicles, I use it. Comes in a big squeeze bottle.
As for the rubbing compound get a SOFT (non terricloth, since terricloth scratches) rag or towl, apply the rubbing compound to the towl and start rubbing HARD in tight circles, and back and forth. You will feel the rag getting hot from friction (good thing) do that for a few minutes or until you see the scratch dissapear. Let the compound dry a few minutes then wipe it off with a clean part of your towel. You won't need a lot of compound, say enough to just cover the scratch your working on. Then the final step is just hit it with some finishing glaze!

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
If they arent't too bad, use Meguiar's Scratch X and slowly work on the scratches.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I used some turtle wax from autozone. It is specifically for black vehicles and it took many of the scratches out of my truck.

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
Ok, I finaly washed my ex, for the first time in a few months, and I've noticed a few new scratches. I have a black excursion so any scratch is noticeable. I was wondering what you guys use or do to help cover up or remove the scrathes.

Thanks
Is this scratch in the clear coat. Or is this scratch through the paint to the metal.

If it is just clear coat. You can use rubbing compound and then a polishing compound. You should be able to buff it right out.

If it is to the metal then your talking wet sand the area. Spray with primer, wet sand then spray with a sealer/primer then paint and then wet sand, then spray with color and then spray with clear again.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not sure if its all the way to the metal or not, I see white? Does that mean its to the metal or just into the primer of the paint?

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
I'm not sure if its all the way to the metal or not, I see white? Does that mean its to the metal or just into the primer of the paint?
Could be primer could be metal. If it is not fixed soon you will know if it was metal or primer when it starts rusting.

·
Stupidity pisses me off
3,881 Posts
If it's white it's a scratch in the clear coat :doh:

·
Registered
112 Posts
novus 3 is the best scratch remover

1 - 10 of 10 Posts