Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone found a decent and reasonably prices 'scan tool' for an F350 7.3 that can display dashboard stuff on a laptop ?? I know Autoenginuity (http://www.autoenginuity.com/) makes one, BUT it is very pricey.

Remember the F350 is NOT OBDII compliant, so the simpler ones will not work (like http://www.scantool.net/obdlink-sx.html).

I'm looking for a scan tool that will present a dashboard on my netbook with live normal engine and tranny items (ie; MPH, RPM, torque, oil press/temp, intercooler temp, tranny gear, tranny temp, etc, etc, etc).

... dave

·
Registered
281 Posts
the auto integurity is the least expensive one you will find it only cost about 400 a better scan tool will be about 1k.
The best one will be about 10k but you do not need anything that fancy.
I would go with auto integurity I may buy one because my scanner will not do everything and if I am going to work on diesels I need one better than what I have. Plus when I travel I take my laptop anyway.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Aeroforcetech.com. Interceptor. Check it out it does everything buzz test,contribution
And plugs right in shows ipr icp EOT all that for around 249$

·
Premium Member
8,297 Posts
Aeroforcetech.com. Interceptor. Check it out it does everything buzz test,contribution
And plugs right in shows ipr icp EOT all that for around 249$
The Best $100 you'd Ever spend would be to go up to $350 for an AE ;)

There's a world of difference between a Code Reader and a Diagnostic Tool like the AutoEnginuity......

·
Registered
140 Posts
Maybe should read about interseptor and what it does
It does practically everything ae does but is on all the time and fits in u gauge pod

·
Registered
140 Posts
I read up a little more on A E and yes I agree it is more of a diagnostic tool. Looks like u guys sold me on that one. Putting in my order at end of month as I just put out for a ts chip this morning

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
THANKS for all the information !! AutoEnginuity is the one to go with. Is there a user of AE out there that can answer a simple question: Can the user configure the 'meters' on the Live Data Meter tab to look more like actual meters (ie; dial format) or is that display rigid and non configurable ?? Can they be presented as dials, analog, digital, graphs, etc ??

·
Registered
140 Posts
THANKS for all the information !! AutoEnginuity is the one to go with. Is there a user of AE out there that can answer a simple question: Can the user configure the 'meters' on the Live Data Meter tab to look more like actual meters (ie; dial format) or is that display rigid and non configurable ?? Can they be presented as dials, analog, digital, graphs, etc ??

Here u go

·
Premium Member
8,297 Posts
Not "Dials" as your readout (I don't think anyway..) you can configure analog graphs (up to 4) of your choosing, simultaneously, and a digital (numeric) display, but I've never seen a "needle" type gauge as an option. But, of course, you can record & review a session too.

And, it should be added, you need some sort of computer/laptop to run it on. I use an old, outdated laptop because the AE requirements are pretty low....

·
Registered
83 Posts
Not to hijaack, but -
How well does the Supechips 1705 do as a code scanner for a 2002 F350?
The ride I bought came with one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just got a reply from AutoEnginuity.com ... also asked them about configurable gauges and dial meters. Their answer: "Sorry, no. The dashboard was discontinued ages ago."
DRATS !!!!!!!! The only thing I was looking for (a 'dashboard' feature) and AutoEnginuity does not offer it.
Now I'm back to square one ... looking for a laptop/netbook OBDII hdwe/sftwe 'dashboard' package for my NON-compliant 200 F350. All I want to do is monitor the engine and trans while under way ... can that be so hard ???? Answer: obviously yes, because of lack of OBDII compliance.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Not to hijaack, but -
How well does the Supechips 1705 do as a code scanner for a 2002 F350?
The ride I bought came with one.
It can read and clear codes but it could be limited. To be able to work on your truck properly you will need a scanner that can run test and I think your superchips can not do that.

·
Registered
827 Posts
nice, i just started a new thread on this in the 7.3 general discussion. Check it out. The reason I was interested in the Interceptor was the write up that Diesel power just did. It seems like It does everything I need it to do all while keeping it right in front of me in a gauge pod

·
Registered
6 Posts
Would you only need the base package or would you also need Enhanced interface for Ford-family (EI01) 1995-2013. Base package is like 249.00 but the enhanced interface is 200.00 more. It sounds like the base would be fine for most DIY'ers.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
^WHS Riffraff seems to have the best price as well.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Okay... you are asking for the torque pro app then. That's easy.

Check out this thread

http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/99-03-7-3l-general-discussion/481106-torque-app-photos.html

Pick up a cheap Android tablet that supports bluetooth ( double check compatibility with the torque app before buying) and buy a 20$ bluetooth OBDII adapter and then you can monitor everything you want.

It just can't do the test's that the AutoEnginuity can do, but you are able to read everything important aside from Boost and EGT since your PCM doesn't see those values

·
Registered
111 Posts
yes look at Torque Pro app !!!
It is a scanner that works great for under 20 dollars plus reads live data like icp and a ton more

1 - 20 of 29 Posts