Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got in my truck a couple days ago and the A/C wouldn't come on. The compressor clutch wasn't engaging. I replaced the relay and checked the fuse. Still nothing. Then I noticed a wet spot on the front of my frame under the passenger side fender well. Anyone had this issue before?

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
I betcha your evaporator coil bit the dust. Likes to spring a leak right at the firewall. Common issue. Have ford replace. $1300.

·
Premium Member
4,509 Posts
Slide under there and feel on the clutch. See if it's falling apart. I've seen more than a few pooched compressors/clutches on these trucks. Often times I've noticed the compressor sprayed refrigerant when this happened.
Easy enough to see under there.

If not that tho, as mentioned, probably evaporator. They're common too. Often times the refrigerant will leak out the drain

Reactions: HLBeef

·
Registered
126 Posts
My a/c just went out and my truck is more immune to the evaporator problem that plagued earlier models. Turns out it was indeed the compressor clutch and there was even grease pushed out toward the front pulley, which got flung around a bit. Needless to say, I have a new compressor on the way to put on this week.

Kaya, any pointers for replacing the compressor? Looks pretty straight forward from underneath, but I could be wrong and there may be a trick or something to make it go smoother.

·
Premium Member
4,509 Posts
Nah not really. Pretty straight forward. Easy as it looks. Pull the air cleaner duct to get on the tensioner.
I think one or two of the mounting bolts need to go in with the compressor. Same way it comes out. Lotta room down there

Reactions: HLBeef

·
Registered
4 Posts
Mine just went out at 108K . After you have checked for other damage, I recommend replacing desiccant in the condenser and pulling a vacuum before you charging the system. If you pull the passenger side inner fender well you get easier access to the ac pump.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts