Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently own a 2000 Excursion and the AC works great (very pleased), but it also has rear air. I recently purchased a 2003 dually and the A/C is just meh during this time of year. I am sure it can be improved with a fresh condenser and evaporator coil, since these are original and are probably dirty and not nearly as efficient as they once were, but I am concerned if the A/C is capable with the large cabin. I have read some statements that claimed the A/C was undersized for the large crew cab. For those that live in the South (I am in Texas) with the crew cab, does your A/C sufficiently cool your cabin? My Excursion is downright frigid cold, and that is how I enjoy my air. Is the Super Duty from this era with the large cabin with no rear air cable of chilly temps? I wanted to ask people before I begin an overhaul if cold temps are indeed possible or if I would be better served flipping this truck and going with an extended cab that has a smaller cabin and less volume to cool. At my age, A/C is a critical component of my vehicles.

Thanks

Chris

·
Administrator
28,718 Posts
i don't think a cab configuration swap would make a huge difference

I also don't think these are the best AC setups for the rear passengers
the later models have ducts to the rear and even on my 06 I run an auxiliary circulating fan to get more air moving around the cabin

i am probably going to swap the components you mentioned out along with a variable orifice tube instead of the fixed OEM tube
to see if I can improve hot humid day performance

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i don't think a cab configuration swap would make a huge difference

I also don't think these are the best AC setups for the rear passengers
the later models have ducts to the rear and even on my 06 I run an auxiliary circulating fan to get more air moving around the cabin

i am probably going to swap the components you mentioned out along with a variable orifice tube instead of the fixed OEM tube
to see if I can improve hot humid day performance
That was my fear, the system is just undersized and that is why they added rear air for the later models *sigh*. I bought the truck back in April and the A/C was great. It just can't keep up on those 95+ days at all, which sadly is 4+ months annual here. 90 and below it works really well. Maybe I will just flip this one and try to find an LBZ dmax since those have rear air. The later powerstrokes scare me after having owned a 6.0 previously. However, I don't want this to turn into another bullet proof debate thread. I am a 7.3 guy and will leave it at that, but A/C really is a make it or break it deal for me.

·
6.2 Convert
1,385 Posts
I owned my 04 crew cab for many years in WA and CO. Didn't use the air that much but it always seemed to get the job done when needed. Moved to Arkansas last year and it felt like it was blowing the same temp air out but of course that wasn't enough for triple digit heat and high humidity. Had the AC serviced and that sure cured the problem. Tech said only thing wrong was low refrigerant. My wife was amazed at the difference and now can't stand to sit in it with the AC on high, even at idle.

Disclaimer - My BPD adapter and 97 fan clutch run more than the stocker so that probably helps.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I owned my 04 crew cab for many years in WA and CO. Didn't use the air that much but it always seemed to get the job done when needed. Moved to Arkansas last year and it felt like it was blowing the same temp air out but of course that wasn't enough for triple digit heat and high humidity. Had the AC serviced and that sure cured the problem. Tech said only thing wrong was low refrigerant. My wife was amazed at the difference and now can't stand to sit in it with the AC on high, even at idle.

Disclaimer - My BPD adapter and 97 fan clutch run more than the stocker so that probably helps.
That is good news. I really want to keep the truck. I read using the clutch fan from the snow package/plow option (whatever it is called) helps pull more air across the condenser in traffic.

·
Administrator
28,718 Posts
to clarify the newer trucks with the rear vents don't have dual AC just more air outlets

My GM would freeze me out my f250 even with new OEM compressor /accumulator/orfice/ is just ok IMO

i see others say the same but some have no complaints

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
to clarify the newer trucks with the rear vents don't have dual AC just more air outlets

My GM would freeze me out my f250 even with new OEM compressor /accumulator/orfice/ is just ok IMO

i see others say the same but some have no complaints
That appears to be the general consensus I have found too. Sadly, A/C is a deal breaker for me. I guess I will have to part ways with that ole girl.

·
Registered
129 Posts
The air in my 02 cclb gets cold enough I have to turn the blower to a slower speed.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,570 Posts
I don't have a crew cab but the air in my extended cab works great. We have plenty of 90+ degree days here.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts