Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How hard is it to replace the A/C compressor on these beasts?
I have replaced the clutch kits three times and seems to me that something is just not right. The frist one was due to wear and tear, second due to cheap parts and not the motorcraft kit locked up and melted the belt. This leads me to believe that the compressor is locking up, or is there another reason for these to fail?

·
Premium Member
8,584 Posts
The clutch bearing can fail and lock -- or the compressor -- or sometimes the magnet coil burns out, and melts -- low voltage, switch or harness

Gotta determine which is the failure -- clutch kits can be "iffy" there are clearance adjustments that need to be observed -- just knock it on with a hammer, sometimes one gets lucky and everything works, sometimes not so much.

Too much charge or low voltage to the clutch are two causes that are common to clutch failure -- I have used "whatever off the shelf" clutches , and seem to have about the same failures as "branded" parts. The compressor can be a cause if the oil level has been low or a lot of miles - the internal parts do wear out -- Usually you will hear noise from the compressor, since there is slack in the swash plate (or wobble plate) that operates the pistons - or rotate the center part of the clutch by hand (back and forth) feeling for "slack" -- a new compressor will not have any noticeable slack

1 - 2 of 2 Posts