Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My a/c blows fine. But the air is cold then the cold cuts out. Like the compressor cuts in and out. But air keeps blowing. Its does it driving and parking. I dont think it would be low on free on because when it is cold, its damn cold.

·
Registered
79 Posts
yea i have the same problem.. and i have changed the high and low pressure switches and that helped for a little while and the only other way i can get mine to work is to keep it in 5th instead 6th the rpms seem to help.

·
Premium Member
9,603 Posts
I had have someone put gauges on it and check the freon level. sounds like both could use a little...

·
Premium Member
9,603 Posts
a couple of weeks ago i changed the filter in the expansion chamber and then put a pump on and sucked it down the charged it????
hmm... did you let it hold the vacuum to check for leaks? if you changed the dryer and expansion tube and it is full of freon you might have a faulty compressor

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have chnged vacuum pump and no leaks maybe the freeon is low

·
Premium Member
9,603 Posts
I have chnged vacuum pump and no leaks maybe the freeon is low
the trucks vacuum pump wont have anything to do with the ac blowing cold..

What he was talking about was he vacuumed the ac system to get all the air out after changing the dryer and orifice tube and then charged the system with freon and oil.

·
Registered
79 Posts
i been messing with it for a while and it is my comp. i got to watching it and when my was cold the comp. would kick in and when the truck was at opperating temp. it would not so im guessing that this is my prob.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just talked to one of my dads truck mechanics. He said there is a switch that is known to get hung up. The switch is what kicks the compressor in. so im gonna try that out. He said if the compressor is faulty it probably would be cold at all.

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
the clutch is getting hot and not pulling in to engage it.. I had this issue with my 99 at work.. if ya rev it up it would engage from the added vibration.. while its not engaged idling if you take a piece of wood and push the clutch in it will grab likely... magnet is weak or air gap is to large

·
Registered
25 Posts
I just talked to one of my dads truck mechanics. He said there is a switch that is known to get hung up. The switch is what kicks the compressor in. so im gonna try that out. He said if the compressor is faulty it probably would be cold at all.

he is talking about the low pressure switch.
if the compressor never kicked on, then it would never blow cold!

the clutch is getting hot and not pulling in to engage it.. I had this issue with my 99 at work.. if ya rev it up it would engage from the added vibration.. while its not engaged idling if you take a piece of wood and push the clutch in it will grab likely... magnet is weak or air gap is to large

sometimes the clutch on the compressor can be shimmed, maybe its magnetic field is not strong enough to engage it completely, all of the time.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Bypass the pressure sensor temporarily to see if the problem goes away.

If it stays on then check the system to see if it has the right pressure.

If it does then change the pressure sensor.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts