Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search but didn't pull anything up. I have always hated the fact that you can only turn on the AC in certain modes. Most vehicles and even newer fords have a ac switch that you turn it on in any mode. I did this in my girlfriend's (a Jeep forum told me how) Liberty and it works great, when you want the AC running you press the button and when you don't want it running, yeah its off.. even in defrost. SO basically I would like to install a switch that turns on the AC system when I want it on, not when the HVAC is in a certain mode!

There has to be a way to do it, Has anyone heard of this with our trucks?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just thinking so you may want to check around but you should be able to intercept the positive wire at the compressor and wire in a switch and if you wired in a three position switch and a relayyoo could have the ac work normaly , be totaly off and be on in any position
but be warn the on in any position would make the compressor run at all times so you would have to turn it off from time to time on long drives or the system will freeze up and not blow cold

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just thinking so you may want to check around but you should be able to intercept the positive wire at the compressor and wire in a switch and if you wired in a three position switch and a relayyoo could have the ac work normaly , be totaly off and be on in any position
but be warn the on in any position would make the compressor run at all times so you would have to turn it off from time to time on long drives or the system will freeze up and not blow cold
Good idea, I didn't think about a 3way switch !
Also a good point about the freeze up, I wonder if there is a better way... maybe just to fool it thinking it is in defrost but the floor is actually the only vent open...

Now that I think of it it already has the compressor running when it it on bi-level so its really not that big of a deal if you want floor only because you can just shut all the dash vents. Would still be nice not to have to do that, its a dumb setup!

·
Govy Magnet
714 Posts
Agreed that it is a silly set up, I wish I could just blow outside air in the cab instead of either ac or heat. I would suggest using that switch only on certain selections. Although I don't have a wiring diagram infront of me, I wonder if you could do the split for the switch at the selector switch. That way you won't effect the AC and MAX AC selections. That way it would just block the compressor from turning on at the rest of them. As far as it freezing up there should be a check-valve in the compressor to keep that from happening, at least the AC's that the MC uses do.
~Phil

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When you turn the switch to AC what tells the AC to turn on, is it a contact style? If so that would make it more simple.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
if I put my selector switch on vent it will blow air at me and not turn the compressor on.

I guess you could wire up a switch to the plug on the compressor that in one position would connect the wire and in the other break it so no mater what the computer says the connection will be broken. no need to put a 3rd position to force it on all the time. that would be bad to bypass the high/low switches.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
if I put my selector switch on vent it will blow air at me and not turn the compressor on.

I guess you could wire up a switch to the plug on the compressor that in one position would connect the wire and in the other break it so no mater what the computer says the connection will be broken. no need to put a 3rd position to force it on all the time. that would be bad to bypass the high/low switches.
Yeah, that seems like the most simple way, and yes the 3pos swith with the forced on might be bad.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts