Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A/C compressor burned my belt off on my 2004 f350 6.0 L. The pulley wouldn't spin freely and snapped my serpentine belt clean. I heard that you can bypass using a idler pulley. Namely part # 3C3Z-8678-DA however. It seems like it will take time for it to ship to the area I work at.

So my question is would I be able to use a new a/c compressor. To make it spin freely and just not use A/C at all. Sense I have no vacuum pump. Or tools to pit oil back in.

Tl;Dr. Would putting a new a/c clutch back in. Without new oil and without using A/C (in cab). Allow it the serpentine to spin freely. To get me out of a bind and daily it. Until I can fix it properly.

·
Registered
259 Posts
When i was driving cross country my ac compressor clutch took a **** and i was in the middle nowhere. I somehow was on the exit with only auto parts store in the area - Napa. Yes, you can swap out the compressor and just use it as a belt guide, i ran mine like that for months before I had time to recharge it. That is what an ac compressor does when the ac is off anyway. When i installed the new compressor, i didn't hook up the freon lines or the electrical. From the time i realized i had a problem till i was back on the road was 3 hours and this was me swapping it out on the side of the road with some help from a local shop.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When i was driving cross country my ac compressor clutch took a **** and i was in the middle nowhere. I somehow was on the exit with only auto parts store in the area - Napa. Yes, you can swap out the compressor and just use it as a belt guide, i ran mine like that for months before I had time to recharge it. That is what an ac compressor does when the ac is off anyway. When i installed the new compressor, i didn't hook up the freon lines or the electrical. From the time i realized i had a problem till i was back on the road was 3 hours and this was me swapping it out on the side of the road with some help from a local shop.

Thanks for the help. I'll go ahead and take the new a/c clutch and install it.

And you said you didn't have to hook you oil line or electrical back in and it ran ran fine until you were ready to recharge it, correct?

·
Registered
259 Posts
Correct, if the clutch doesn't engage, the actual compressor never runs so it doesn't matter. My problem was no one near where i was sold just the clutch. You will need snap ring pliers and a small 2 or 3 jaw puller also

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Correct, if the clutch doesn't engage, the actual compressor never runs so it doesn't matter. My problem was no one near where i was sold just the clutch. You will need snap ring pliers and a small 2 or 3 jaw puller also

Got it, I appreciate the help.

·
Administrator
31,724 Posts
Definitely do not hook up electrical, the compressor can cycle even if you do not have air-conditioning selected

1 - 6 of 6 Posts