Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i replace the fuel pump, ran fine for about 30 miles give or take. then while driving the thing slowly dies. i check the fuse and sure enough its blown. replace it, it blows right away. one more fuse same result. today i tried unplugging the fuel heater someone said the plug could be shorting it out. same thing blew another fuse. i am running out of ideas on what could be causing the fuse to keep blowing in the power distribution box. any help would be greatly appreciatted. thanks..

·
Premium Member
8,676 Posts
There are two small wires going to the OD button in the steering column that commonly rub-through and short. This will blow #19 and #45.

If you remove the column covers behind the steering wheel and look at the base of the shift selector you'll probably find those wires chafed there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I took the column apart yesterday and looked. There is actually 3 wires that ran up to the od button. And it's there wrapped together. I didn't cut the wrap to examine the wires. But the od button has always functioned fine and I haven't checked fuse 45 at all. Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bare wire going to the fuel pump was grounding itself. Simple fix. After a couple tow bills and a fuel pump.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts