Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I new to the page I recently had a problem with starting. I went to start my truck it is a 99 f250 I cycled the truck one time wich normally it fires right up but this time it just spun over. I tried cycling it and starting a 3 more times no start. Then on the fifth as the plugs were running I heard a clunk from under the truck I tried to start it and it spun over a few times and started. Not shure if it is a injector,water in fule ,hpop or fuel pump.
Any ideas are greatly appreciated. Thanks

· Premium Member
9,832 Posts
So first, forget the "cycling" nonsense ;) Turn the Key On and leave it On for 1-2mins (depending how Cold it is out, the plugs will be on the Whole Time) before you crank it over on the starter. The WTS light has Nothing to do with GP function.

Next it sounds to me like you might have a problem with the Glow Plug System. If your GPR (the relay) wasn't working right, like maybe the first couple of tries it didn't work and the "clunk" you heard was when it did, you might want to check it all out -> Troubleshooting GPR & GP's

· Registered
2,201 Posts
Do you know the history of the glow plugs and relay? Try jumping the large posts on the glow plug relay (jumper cable clamp works good for this) for at least 30 seconds prior to starting. Most likely you've got failed glow plugs and/or a weak relay.

· Premium Member
10,201 Posts
Adding an LED indicator light on the dash is a handy thing to let you know when the glow plugs are on -- easy todo on the 7.3 system, just need to add the light to the outlet side of the glow plug relay

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So first, forget the "cycling" nonsense ;) Turn the Key On and leave it On for 1-2mins (depending how Cold it is out, the plugs will be on the Whole Time) before you crank it over on the starter. The WTS light has Nothing to do with GP function. Next it sounds to me like you might have a problem with the Glow Plug System. If your GPR (the relay) wasn't working right, like maybe the first couple of tries it didn't work and the "clunk" you heard was when it did, you might want to check it all out -> Troubleshooting GPR & GP's
Thanks for the info I will definetly check it out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts