Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm new to the forum and new to diesels, so pardon my ignorance.

I've recently purchased an E450 shuttle bus and am converting it into a RV style vehicle. I just got a scan gauge 2 to monitor some more parameters on the engine. After calibrating the boost reading, I took it for a spin to see what it was reading. The max I saw was 11 psi. That seemed low, but I wasn't sure. After doing some research that is clearly low. I set up the scan gauge to monitor exhaust back pressure as well, as I heard that plays into boost level. I took it for another spin and after warmed up, at WOT the boost maxed out at 11.8psi and the exhaust back pressure was 32 psi at that point (was 16psi at idle). I took the doghouse off just to confirm that there was no waste gate on the turbo. With no waste gate and no intercooler the setup seems pretty simple. I'm wondering if there is a boost leak, or the computer is limiting the boost for some reason. My understanding is that a van 7.3 should be making around 16 psi stock. The engine seems to run great to me, it doesn't seem that slow, but with it being a bus, I'm kind of expecting it to be slow, so it's hard to know whats normal.

Obviously the first logical step would be to pressurize the turbo and spray soapy water. This seems like it will be much more difficult on the van because you don't have a top down view of the y pipe area. I think my best bet will be to get some kind of boot to aim toward the cabin and hook up a pvc cap with a schrader valve. If anyone has an tips on this, they would be much appreciated. Also, if there's anything else I should check to eliminate other possible causes please mention them.

Thanks, Rainer

·
Registered
580 Posts
Does it lack power? Reading boost digitally from the OBD2 port on a 7.3 is no where near accurate. My guess is it will read within spec with a mechanical boost gauge

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 2 of 2 Posts