Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i have a 99 7.3l in the shop and it wont start it has good icp it passes the flowing test injector buzz test, contribution test, and glow plug test if u shoot it with starting fluid it will start and stay running then u can turn it off and it will restart and it doesn't have to be warm but it is in a heated shop when cranking their is white smoke coming from the exhaust and a lot but it is fuel not coolant help plez

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Have you changed the fluids/filters lately?
Not to sound like a smart **s-is your oil level up to proper height?:thumb:
Did you change your CPS?
But try not to use ether-it's like crack for diesels.:doh:

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
the ICP sensor has nothing to do with being able to start a 7.3L. my understanding the white smoke = cylinders are on the cool side. you may have a problem with the Glow Plugs system.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
what's the ICP, IPR values.....fuel pressure readings....etc at crank? we need data. So you are saying you have to spray it with ether to start it, then it will restart after that without ether? So you are having a cold start issue? Are these the original injectors?

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Have you changed your cam position sensor?
If it will fire on ether,it sounds like you're not getting fuel,either due to not enough oil pressure from HPOP,clogged fuel filter,bad fuel pump.:dunno:

·
WNY Biodiesel Co-op
915 Posts
whats the voltage when your cranking . I think you need 10.5 volts to fire the injectors. It sounds like you have a few problems, compression, hpop bleeding down , low cranking voltage. Did you try jumping it off another diesel? Cranking speed and voltage are critical, check the basics.

·
Registered
27 Posts
hard starts

Yes try to plug it in. could be o-rings or just bad injectors. I just went thru the same thing. 198K on mine. I could plug mine up sitting in my shop for a hour or so and it would fire right up if i did not plug it up it would not start. had new injector install and no more problems. old injector all had problems o-rings bad on some ,barrel and plunger problems on some etc. also found 1 injector cup was cracked. would pass a buzz test. check the fuel filter and see if it is black. (bad o-rings)

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
try unplugging the icp sensor. If its bad it wont tell the ipr what to do. Unplugging it sets it to a default value.
I could not start mine in sort of similar way. I had to plug it in. Glow plugs were fine. I could not figure it. I had issues with the ipr. I believe it was sticking. i changed that now it starts.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
I am not a tech but from what i am told, if its injector o rings you should have a hard start issue both cold and when its warm or hot?? Not just when cold from sitting for a while??

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.