Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hoping somebody can help me out here. I am working on a friends 99 7.3L powerstroke in a F350. It died on the highway on him and he couldn't get it started. Had it towed to a dealership because he knew there was a recall on the cam sensor. Dealership replaced cam sensor (it is a grey one now) but still would not start. They read the codes and gave him an estimate that was more than the truck is worth to fix. I repair all his heavy equipment so asked me to take a look. So far I have replaced the fuel pump on the rail, it was weak. Have good pressure know. Tested the High pressure pump have the 3000psi going to the injectors. He replaced the IPR because somebody told him that might be the problem. Nope. I installed a new tube to the EBP sensor and replaced the trans range sensor both of which were codes that came up on the computer.

Since this is getting a little long I will say I am at the point where I know the injectors are not firing. There is fuel there and oil pressure, but no signal telling them to fire. I havea valve cover off and checked for the 110v at the injectors - nothing. Is there a way to bench test the IDM? Or is there maybe another sensor that I am missing that might cause this problem? Any help would be appreciated.:dunno:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Another note here, the following codes are what the dealership printed out, I try to read codes and it says there are no codes to be read, so dealership must have erased them. Codes that they said came up P0471 P0500 P0732 P0733 P1670

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
i know this is out in left field but have you checked the neutral start switch i dont see why it would have killed the truck but that would make it not start or if that linkage is messed up or something i had that problem with the 01 that i had

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, I checked all the fuses, 12v both sides of fuses.

Goldie, thanks for the thought at this point I'll try any field. I was thinking the same thing and replaced the trans range sensor which contains the neutral start switch. She'll turn over but just won't start. No smoke or fuel smell at tailpipe so I am sure the injectors are not openning. Thanks for the advise though.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
well i had a problem with my truck kicking the fuse when you would try and start it i thought i was in the wiring in the neutral start so i changed it and i fixed to i dont know but yea if you arent getting no fuel that is a problem maybe a plugged fuel line or something it doesent sound like anything major to me but i have been known to be wrong before lol (it was a long time ago and it only happened once)lol haha

·
Registered
85 Posts
try having the dealer check out your GPCM (glow plug module) - mine shorted out and stayed on continously causing a humongous power drain, truck wouldnt start, turn over, or do anything....i had it fixed and boom it was fine - just an idea....

before i found out what the problem was - i tried to jump it with my buddy's 03 f250 6.0 and my truck turned his off due to the drain.....wierd....

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, thats a thought. GPCM is that reference to the Glow plug relay or are you refering to the PCM power control module?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes redstroker, checked cps. Ohmed out wires to be sure they were not shorted or open (read one of the past posts that had this problem). My friend had the cam sensor replaced by the dealership. I checked and verifeid that it was new. (grey in color - ibelieve the old ones were blue)

·
Registered
179 Posts
just another idea, the under valve cover harness and wires can give some trouble with bad connections, should be some info on here if you do a search

·
Registered
1 Posts
Truck died while driving and won't start.

I was driving my truck lastnight, a 2000 F350 with a 7.3L engine, and it just died on the highway. I tried craking it up several times, but no luck. What could my problem be. I'm new to diesels, so I have no clue. Please help.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Cam position sensor?

·
Registered
19 Posts
sorry, i see u checked that already. But sure seems like that would be the issue

1 - 15 of 15 Posts