Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok i have a 99 7.3 that will not start unless i pop the clutch. The truck cranks over just fine but will not start. The glow plug relay works just fine. If i pop start the truck it fires right up and runs like a champ. I have no clue where to start or what to look for? My guess would be maybe a fuel issue but i don't know how to check it.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I'm really not sure what that would be but since it works when you pop the clutch I would think your fuel is fine. I would think your starter isn't turning quite enough to start it up or possibly batteries slightly too low to spin it enough. But I'm sure someone will have a better idea for ya. Good luck.

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
Could it be the safety switch for the clutch. Kinda like the neutral safety switch for an automatic trans. If that is bad it might crank all day but not fire.

·
Premium Member
9,392 Posts
batteries brand new i thought of that even hooked the truck up to another truck
hooking it to another truck wouldnt make any difference if starter was dragging just enough to keep it from starting , ive seen alot of them that seem like there spinning good but just wasnt quite enough to fire

·
Premium Member
9,392 Posts
cca makes no difference if starter isnt spinning fast enough due to weak starter, or even batterie cable problems, may not be getting but 400 cca if you know what i mean

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts