Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a project motor out of a 1999 f250 looking to make 800 hp any suggestions on parts to get there on a budget. injectors cams valves and springs rods etc.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Subbed....

·
Hate stupid people
8,503 Posts
Lol! I love these threads because 95% of them never finish due to $$$
1. Are you ready for a $20,000 investment IF your serious?
2. Trucks purpose? Sled/drag ?
3. Call Swamps or Carson Stauffer

·
Premium Member
2,623 Posts
400/400 injectors, a better HPOP, a full regulated return fuel system with a high flow pump or dual factory pumps, T4 turbo setup, with an S475 or S480 turbo, head studs, valve springs, exhaust system, and a Hydra with custom tuning will get you close. You will be at the edge of what the stock bottom end can support at that point so have a spare engine and money saved up to build a better bottom end in case you throw a rod through yours. Also you will need gauges, a fully built transmission if auto, or a dual disc clutch if manual, and traction bars.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Lol! I love these threads because 95% of them never finish due to $$$
1. Are you ready for a $20,000 investment IF your serious?
2. Trucks purpose? Sled/drag ?
3. Call Swamps or Carson Stauffer
I think 95% is generous lol. I've never seen one finish. Heres a good starting point....

https://www.gohypermax.com/productdisplay.aspx?id=ac1c22c9-c515-4b4a-82cc-8df2dccc5adb

But in all seriousness you need to be ready to have an open wallet. I've seen some local 7.3 sled pulling motors go together and its not cheap. If you actually want to hit 800 reliably you should seriously consider doing a full motor build. It would be a shame to see that thing blow apart after all the time and $$ spent.

·
Hate stupid people
8,503 Posts
I think 95% is generous lol. I've never seen one finish. Heres a good starting point....

https://www.gohypermax.com/productdisplay.aspx?id=ac1c22c9-c515-4b4a-82cc-8df2dccc5adb

But in all seriousness you need to be ready to have an open wallet. I've seen some local 7.3 sled pulling motors go together and its not cheap. If you actually want to hit 800 reliably you should seriously consider doing a full motor build. It would be a shame to see that thing blow apart after all the time and $$ spent.
I've been called that before.
I look back on the $$ I spent just to get my 7.3 to 600 rwhp I can almost puke right now. Even though it was a hot setup and loved traveling all over Illinois/Indiana pulling and racing, i still wasted a lot of $ on the platform before I realized it was to late.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
what brand for specific parts would you recommend using I have a compound turbo setup for it just need suggestions for internals

·
Hate stupid people
8,503 Posts
your turbo setup should play hand in hand with your injectors as well as your custom tuner.
who have you spoken with that has a legit 800 hp 7.3 truck or setup?

·
Registered
339 Posts
what brand for specific parts would you recommend using I have a compound turbo setup for it just need suggestions for internals
20 to 30 grand for the engine, another $5 grand for Dyno time 7 to 8 grand for a transmission, as mentioned before your probably going to toss rods so custom made Titanium rods and crank, looking at another 20 thousand just for those.

Here I'll just make it real easy, do you have about $100,000 to dump in something your going to have to hire and engineering staff to design and most likely blow one up on the dyno the first time? like this,,,,,

get ready yours will look like that the first time you spend the money

·
Premium Member
2,623 Posts
If your paying 20-30 grand to build a 7.3 you are getting ripped off. You can build one for half of that.

·
Hate stupid people
8,503 Posts
maybe our responses are over estimating the 800 hp "route"
maybe its a cheap route of 400/400 injectors S480/66 compound setup - Twin hpops- studs/springs- fuel kit- trans and never use 100% of the "800 hp" because it'll blow the bottom.

OR

go full billet block/internals with custom heads with various angled valve jobs (billet) and then add fuel/air/hpop and then a 10K for a trans. axle builds. remaining drive line build from rear end to t-case

·
Registered
339 Posts
no over estimating, 800 is 800.

Now if thats what a guy wanted he's going to spend more than a 6.7 would cost and he should just get one of them

·
Premium Member
2,623 Posts
Overall cost an 800 HP 7.3 would be cheaper than a 800 HP 6.7. Unless you do what some have suggested and pay twice as much as you should to build your engine.

·
Fire From the Clouds!
1,723 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,623 Posts
Twins aren't really necessary on a 7.3. I remember a few years back Brian Jelich (now owner of Jelibuilt performance) dynoed over 1000 HP on a single turbo setup, then he tried twins and ended up losing HP, and eventually switched back to a single setup.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Jelly had gigantic compounds. s475 to s480. He said he left the line with 40-45 PSI. Friend of mine bought a truck from Barder Turbo service that he built. S363 and s467.7 with 300/200. it can be done but big snail is just more effective. Obviously its up to the OP but I'd run a big single.(S467 is the abosulte biggest you can go without having to "modify" you firewall).

·
Registered
339 Posts
Overall cost an 800 HP 7.3 would be cheaper than a 800 HP 6.7. Unless you do what some have suggested and pay twice as much as you should to build your engine.
Twice as much yes! Because he'll blow up the first one. There's no precedent for 800 horsepower 7.3's so he's going to have to do his own engineering [i.e. blow one up] Hence twice the cost. Now at over 900 ft/lbs of torque bone stock for a 6.7, and a full warranty, I'll take the new truck for the same money thank you very much.

·
Premium Member
2,623 Posts
Twice as much yes! Because he'll blow up the first one. There's no precedent for 800 horsepower 7.3's so he's going to have to do his own engineering [i.e. blow one up] Hence twice the cost. Now at over 900 ft/lbs of torque bone stock for a 6.7, and a full warranty, I'll take the new truck for the same money thank you very much.
Are you living under a rock or what? You need to do some research instead of making false claims. Over the past 10-15 years there have been many 7.3s that dynoed over 800 hp. They aren't as popular to build as they used to be due to age and the diesel performance world seems to by dying down over the past few years.Brian Jelich even dynoed over 800 on a stock bottom end 10 years ago, aftermarket support and tuning for the 7.3 has improved since then.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Are you living under a rock or what? You need to do some research instead of making false claims. Over the past 10-15 years there have been many 7.3s that dynoed over 800 hp. They aren't as popular to build as they used to be due to age and the diesel performance world seems to by dying down over the past few years.Brian Jelich even dynoed over 800 on a stock bottom end 10 years ago, aftermarket support and tuning for the 7.3 has improved since then.
whatever dude, if it bugs you, oh boy I can see fleets of 800 horsepower 7.3's every day right? I think not, just buy a 6.7, done with it

1 - 20 of 30 Posts