Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

I just picked up a 99 7.3 with 117k miles as a work truck. It runs great, starts great, shifts great, everything works very well it pulls hard etc. Well I went to get it aligned today and took it on the freeway for the first time since buying it yesterday. Got up to speed and was cruising and then it just cut out and died. Waited five minutes and started it right back up no problem and got off the freeway and took streets.

But I can't figure out why it died at freeway speeds, I'm thinking to start fuel filter etc any other thoughts.

Thanks,

John

·
Premium Member
8,693 Posts
If it were just the fuel filter (and, by all means, if you don't know when it was changed - change it Now) I would think it would restart without the 5min wait.....

If you really had to wait, it sounds like the CPS. Everybody should carry a spare CPS in the glovebox anyway, so it's no loss to buy one and try it. Even if it wasn't the cause you now have the old one as your spare :wink[3]:

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
______^^^^AGREE^^^^_______

cps always go pop that bad boy out and try another one did it throw any codes

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I didn't have to wait 5 minutes I just gave it five minutes. Well I think I'm gonna grab a fuel filter, a cps, and some diesel fuel additive and see if that gets her straightened out.

Thanks,

John

·
Banned
4,240 Posts
Well I didn't have to wait 5 minutes I just gave it five minutes. Well I think I'm gonna grab a fuel filter, a cps, and some diesel fuel additive and see if that gets her straightened out.

Thanks,

John
Make sure it's a FORD CPS! The aftermarket ones could cause more problems than they solve.

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
Mango hookes me up with one thanks bud

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alright guys here is the update:

Went to ford picked up a CPS, fuel filter, and oil filter. Did a complete oil change, fuel filter change, and CPS change out.

Just went out and drove the truck and no change. I got up to about 50-55 and it was almost like hitting a governor it just stopped going. The engine doesn't physically die, the motor keeps running but as soon as it hits 55 the engine shakes everytime you give it gas and it won't go anywhere. You give it gas and the engine shakes and just slows down and there is no more propulsion coming from the engine.

I pulled over and it just keeps running but it has no power it won't go anywhere. So I shut it down and restarted it and tried to go and the same thing the whole truck just shook but it didn't really go anywhere. So I sat with the engine off for 5 plus minutes and re-started and then took off and no shaking or anything, then I just drove it slowly back home.

Any thoughts, this is really frustrating. Its like it is starving for fuel or air or something it just shakes like its trying but its got nothing.

Thanks,

John

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
Check the icp sensor for oil thats another vommon prob

·
Banned
4,240 Posts
What do you have for mods on the truck?

Sounds like it's time to find a good scanner, the generic OBDII ones generally don;t work on these trucks, so you need a good one like a Snapon or Auto Enginuity.

Wouldn't hurt to try pulling the ICP and see if that clears it up. Could be the UVCH, too. Does the CEL come on?

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok this weekend I'm going to check the ICP sensor and the UVCH. Can someone give me a quick tutorial as to what I'm looking for on either of these? Do I want to pull the ICP and then try and drive it and see if it does it or can I not do that? Am I just pulling the ICP and checking for oil? On the UVCH how will I know if it is bad or not?

Thanks,

John

·
Banned
4,240 Posts
Ok this weekend I'm going to check the ICP sensor and the UVCH. Can someone give me a quick tutorial as to what I'm looking for on either of these? Do I want to pull the ICP and then try and drive it and see if it does it or can I not do that? Am I just pulling the ICP and checking for oil? On the UVCH how will I know if it is bad or not?

Thanks,

John
Yup, just unplug the ICP, check for in in the plug/wires. If it clears up, or there is oil present, the ICP is most likely the culprit.

UVCH, stand bu, I have a link w/ pics...

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Perfect thank you very much, now there isn't a chance that its a fuel pump or sending unit inside the tank or anything? Is there an easy way to rule those out?

Thanks,

John

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I hope everyone is ready for an update!!

I changed out the fuel pump today, drove it and no change. Then I came back and unplugged the ICP and there wasn't any oil on the electrical connections? I left it unplugged and drove it, wow what a change that thing was like a whole new animal. It took off fast, jumped everytime I touched the gas pedal. I got it out on the open road, got up to about 58mph and it started to die again or just act like its hitting a wall. Then I slowed down pulled down a street and it began shaking again when you would give it gas.

So I have a few thoughts, one is I will get a new ICP because that made a big difference. Two I think the UVCH is next to check, but I'm not sure I want to do that work myself. And lastly how would I be able to find out if it has a governor or something along those lines? It feels like its hitting a wall at 60mph, I'm thinking maybe governor but that doesn't explain the shaking after hitting the wall and the lack of power?

Thanks,

John

·
Registered
11,152 Posts
Scan it. Read fuel pressures, ICP pressures.
The unplugged ICP worked because the PCM reverts to a standard ghost reading for the ICP so it'll work.
It's one of three things probably: fuel, HPO, or air. Probably not air. High pressure oil fires the injectors, then the fuel goes in it, duh.
You're pickup tube and assembly in the tank might be clogged.
The UVCH is easy. Check the connections and see if any are burnt. Then take off valve covers and check the wires.
There's no governor like that at 60. What does it do when you go from a stop or slow roll to WOT?

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok well I caved and just dropped the truck off at Ford yesterday because I don't have enough time during the week to problem solve and I needed to get it running. They did a diagnostic on it and narrowed it down to the fuel tank. They said the fuel fittings coming out of or the fuel tank itself must be corroded etc. So they gave us a quote of $500.00 to drop the tank and investigate further, and then said it would another $500.00 for a new tank plus labor etc.

So I told them I would pick it up and drop the tank myself and I'll purchase a new one as well as fitting if it needs it.

Am I missing something, is dropping the tank that much labor? And is a new fuel tank that expensive?

Thanks,

John

·
Registered
11,152 Posts
No it's not too hard. Unless it's all rusted up. But a couple straps hold it up. The sender unit is in the center so don't lift it there.
You could do the Hutch and Harpoon mod while you're in there.
Welcome to guzzle's In-tank Hutch Mod Web Page
Welcome to guzzle's In-tank Harpoon Mod Web Page
Hutch mod is modifying the fuel pickup and return so you don't suck up as much air.
Harpoon is so you can fill up the tank fuller than you normally would.
Not a must but if you're in there you could.
As for fuel tank price, not sure.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The screens inside the fuel sending unit are probably stopped up. Before replacing anything, drop the tank and check out the screens. Also, the pickup on the bottom of the sending unit is most likely broken off. Happens on almost every 7.3L. Check fuel pressure!

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Alright guys, just wanted to close out this thread. I dropped the tank and it was rusted on the bottom, so I did a rust wash, re-sealed it and cleaned the sending unit. Blew some air through the lines behind the fuel pump and installed everything back in the truck. Drove it and got her up to 75-80 no problem so I believe we have solved the case!!

Thanks for everyones help.

John

·
Registered
4 Posts
Did you say corrosion in the gas tank?

Well I am glad you got it running again but as far as continuing to run without fuel tank issues, thats another story.

Check this thred:
Corrosion in Ford diesel fuel tanks (p.3)

Mostly on page 3 you will see this is a re-occuring problem..
very surprised it is not mentioned more on the forum??!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts