Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

99 7.3 automatic 4x4

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  NoRalPh 
#1 ·
Hey guys hoping to get some imput on my truck. This is hard to explain but I will try my best. When I drive the truck it seems to shift fine. Ocassaionally if I am on the highway and I get on it a little bit around 40 mph before shifting sometimes it sounds/feels like it shudders if that is the right description. I use it for towing my landscaping trailer and it seems to do it more with a load on it. after it warms up it seems to be a little better but still does it. I was thinking torque converter? But i dont know.Suggestions welcomed

#3 ·
117,000 miles. I bought the truck basically 2 years ago. Not sure what the previous owner did prior. When I check the tranny fluid dip stick, its red color. Not sure how it looks in the pan. I never have had a trans fluid and filter change but am def going to do it soon. Truck is completely stock. I do have a hydra chip I bbought from some place that i was directed to from this site but never was able to get it installed. Seems like every time i buy something and watch videos of everyone saying how easy things are that it never works out as smooth. I tried installing it and the truck started and it work and than the next morning i went outside to start it and nothing so I ended up pulling the chip out. The gentleman from power hungry told me to send my chip and my pcm to them and they would add copper or whatever is on the pcm board and install the chip and ship it back to me all in the same day. I just havent had a chance to do it because i was using the truck daily but I am def thinking about how i want to do that now but I am afraid I will do more damage if there is an issue. What do you think about that? I have heard that the chip will actually help the trans shifting but do not know if that is true or not.

#4 ·
My truck (2002 Excursion 7.3 233k) "hunts" or "shutters" between 40-50 MPH. I believe this is the truck shifting in and out of OD. I bought the truck 1 month ago so I am not the best source of info. I will be curious to see other responses / your resolution.

PS I bought the truck with an SCT x4 town tune installed. I just returned to stock to see if the shifting / performance would be any different. If anything, it was minor, potentially smoother shifting (which actually isn't what I want for towing) I did not notice any engine performance difference. what i really what is a stock engine tune with a firmer transmission shift for towing and transmission longevity. SCT says i can do this but I am not seeing this in the programmer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.