Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new here and am considering getting a powerstroke. I was originally wanting a 99-03 7.3 but I've found a 97 powerstroke cclb F350 that I like.

Is it safe to run a chip like a Tony Wildman (with Boost, trans temp, and pyro guages) without an intercooler? If I get the truck I would drive it a little while and then put guages, exhaust, and chip and I don't know if the engine will stay cool enough or if an intercooler should be my first upgrade. Trying to count the costs.

Is there anything special I should look for if I go see this truck? It has 143k miles.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
i'm currently running mine with a downpipe, tymar intake, and TW tunes, no intercooler

does just fine. although i did just order an i/c a few days ago. but that's 'cause i'm doing stage 1's and a d66, and wanna keep my egt's in check

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
should be fine. if you have the stock flat down pipe, repalce it. about $80. that helps a ton. :ORG welcome:

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
What is a TW tuner Tbonemcneil?

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
it does stand for tony wildman

he is one of the guys that does tuning for these obs powerstrokes

there are many to choose from, TW, TS, PHP, Swamps, so on and so forth.

you will get many different opinions on whose is better, from what i've read, most people either go with TW or TS. Personally, I went with TW.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I ran mine for a couple of years without the IC, had to keep an eye on EGT's when towing, but nothing too extream

·
Registered
275 Posts
As these guys have said, you should be fine, just make sure you have your gauges in. And as mentioned, you should really consider replacing the stock DP.
I'll be going with a TW when I get my next OBS too, as soon as I sell my 99 SD (you aren't still considering SDs are ya? :D)

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
why are you selling your 99?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts