Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m in need of a little help, I have searched and searched for answer and all I have come up with is people saying why you should just do something else and not answering the questions. I appreciate all feedback but do understand that I’m not doing anything different then what is being asked of here. I have a 97 F350 7.3 with a standard tranny, I am putting a 99SD 7.3 in it. I have the engine, engine harness, engine controller, injector controller and will be adding in electronic fuel pump. Here are my questions to anyone who knows, has done or could direct me to the info I need:

1. Recommendations on where to send engine controller to get flashed for standard transmission from auto?
2. Will the 99 engine harness plug into the truck harness and work with injector controller and flashed engine controller?
3. Will the dash work correctly with the swap?
4. Anything else I will need electronic wise to make this swap work?

thanks for any help towards my questions asked!

·
Premium Member
4,619 Posts
1. @[email protected]

2. Not 100% sure on this one. I know the IDM will work but if you are using the 99 PCM then it may complicate things but can work.

3. This is where it may get complicated. The water temp, voltage and oil gauges are simple. The speedometer should be ok. Engine RPM may work if you use the 99 PCM but may require rewiring and connectors.

This is where you are probably getting the answers you don't like.
4. Everything from the 97 will work with the 99 motor except for the addition of an electric fuel pump which you just need the wiring for.

If you use the 99 injectors you will also need to be tuned to use the split shots if you use the 97 PCM. If you use the 99 PCM then you may need to do some rewiring of the dash and engine bay.

You do not gain anything using the 99 PCM and it will be much easier using the 97 and having it reflashed for the injectors.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So reading what you respond with, I do have both engine controller and injector controller for both the 97 and the 99 if that makes a difference. So would it be better to run the 97 controllers and have the 97 controller programmed to run the injectors of the 99? Will everything else work minus having to wire in the fuel pump? I'm looking for the least complicated install. Thanks for the help!

·
Premium Member
4,619 Posts
For least complicated use the 97. Electronically everything will literally be plug and play and just retune for the injectors.

The 99 block is the same except for the mechanical fuel pump opening is blocked in the valley. So just Efuel and you're set there.

May need to swap up pipes so the 97 exhaust and turbo will work.

@[email protected] can help with the tuning and probably explain the exhaust side better.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
I’m in need of a little help, I have searched and searched for answer and all I have come up with is people saying why you should just do something else and not answering the questions. I appreciate all feedback but do understand that I’m not doing anything different then what is being asked of here. I have a 97 F350 7.3 with a standard tranny, I am putting a 99SD 7.3 in it. I have the engine, engine harness, engine controller, injector controller and will be adding in electronic fuel pump. Here are my questions to anyone who knows, has done or could direct me to the info I need:

1. Recommendations on where to send engine controller to get flashed for standard transmission from auto?
2. Will the 99 engine harness plug into the truck harness and work with injector controller and flashed engine controller?
3. Will the dash work correctly with the swap?
4. Anything else I will need electronic wise to make this swap work?

thanks for any help towards my questions asked!
Assuming the 97 motor is blown, which is why you are doing the swap.

The EASIEST way to do the swap is to use only the hard parts from the 99 engine and swap over from the 97 the injectors, wiring, etc so it will connect and run properly in the 97

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The condition of the injectors are unknow and are rusted under the valve cover of the old engine, the engine is no good, I will be droping in a running take out into the 97 from the 99, just trying to get an understanding of what it will take electrical wise.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Just a note: OBS trucks and 99+trucks use different MAP sensors. OBS MAPs output a variable frequency while the 99+ are analog (so you would need to use the correct sensor for the PCM. Cheers!

Reactions: [email protected]

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
The condition of the injectors are unknow and are rusted under the valve cover of the old engine, the engine is no good, I will be droping in a running take out into the 97 from the 99, just trying to get an understanding of what it will take electrical wise.
find a 94-97 motor to swap in, otherwise you're going to be changing/modifying a lot of electrical components if you can't salvage anything from the 97 motor

·
Vendor
13,252 Posts
What they said. Use the 97 hard parts. Good time to do the obs bellowed up pipes, but having all the e99 parts handy, I would utilize the intercooler setup on your 97 as it will bolt right up using the e99 intake spider. Good time to install our fuel line kit too since your going to efuel. You can use the pump from the e99 also.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts