Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I am very new to this forum. I do not personally own the ol' 97 but my father own is. He has tasked me to find out some info regarding his trusty (but rusty) 7.3L.

Currently he has a 97 F250 that is about to fall apart due to rust (we live in MN) and has recently found a deal on a 99 F350 with a 7.3L with a blown head gasket. What he is asking me to find out is, what parts if any will be a direct swap from the 99 that he can swap on the 97. He currently has an issue with the 97 where it burns oil. Doesn't leak but just burns it but as he states "has a **** ton more power".

He is also toying with the idea of swapping the 97 engine with 99 body since the 97 body is about to fall apart due to rust.

Again... I am very new and just looking to get some information that you guys might know about these two different years. Any help would be greatly appreciated. If there are any links to websites I can look up to read up more on it that would help too. If my old man was a little more tech savvy with computers I would have had him do this but it a little to advanced for him.

Thanks for your help!

-Derek

·
Hate stupid people
8,511 Posts
depends exactly what your looking to gain from the 99 truck?
is it an early or late 99?

I'd also look into why its burning/using oil and try to diagnose/fix that issue.

The complete turbo/IC setup will swap over and would be a very nice upgrade over your obs turbo system and its lack of IC.

The HPOP is another "upgrade" over your stock 15*

The injectors from the 99 "could" be used assuming they are in good shape, but I'd be getting them re-built before attempting to run them. They will also require tuning to properly run the different injector

Body swap would be a very indepth job but with time/$ and tools it can be done.

·
Premium Member
2,632 Posts
Are you sure the 99 has a blown head gasket? That is very rare for a stock 7.3. The engine blocks are interchangeable between the two trucks, the only thing is if you put a Super Duty 7.3 block in an OBS you have to convert to an electric fuel pump.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys for he info. It is very helpful. I will talk with my old man to see if I can get any other info on the 99. All he is told me so far is that he is getting it delivered to him sometime in the next week or two.

When he has the truck in front of him he can get more info on it. I am going to try and talk him into fixing the 99 and just using the 97 for spare parts if something breaks again on the 99.

But it could be tricky... he is 60yo, just had back surgery a year ago and this 99' has a 6" lift with 33's. Might need to get "custom" ladder for him just so he can get in it. haha

and now that i am thinking about it... new plan, Have him fix the 99, pull the motor from the 97. Fix what is ever wrong with the 97 and then put the motor and trans into his 66 Bronco he is fixing up. :cue evil laugh:

·
Premium Member
2,632 Posts
I bet those 33s look tiny with a 6" lift. My 35s look small on a 4" lift.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts