Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a fuel leak after filter replacement. Purchased Motorcraft fuel filter, removed cap, removed old filter, changed O-ring in proper position, replaced with new filter, tightened cap all per the instructions that came with the filter. Fuel leaks. I removed it all and repeated procedure again with another leak. I noticed on new filter that it had two plastic tabs that are supposed to fit into the plastic cap. My cap doesn't have the grooves to fit the tabs. My old filter didn't have the tabs on it.

Can I remove the tabs on the new filter without causing any problems or do I need a new cap ??

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
The tabs are to insure the gasket doesn't get kinked,that is the most likely reason you have a leak, make sure the gasket isn,t broken.

·
Transmission or Injectors
743 Posts
Be careful when changing filters. I ran into this on my last filter change. I bought a new filter in January, it came with a new cap, and a taller filter. At the time, I didnt realize that anything was wrong, so I used the new filter and cap. 2 weeks ago, I wanted to change filters, and when I went to the parts store, I got a small cartridge filter with the 2 tabs on the top. Of course, in January, I threw out the cap, which, in retrospect was the original Ford filter cap, which accepts the filter with the cartridge.

I bought a Purolator filter that came with a new cap as well, and the filter was attached to it. It was my only option, because I didnt have the original Ford filter cap.

I guess the moral of my long winded story, be careful when changing filters, if they come with a new cap, they are pretty much only good for the filter they came with. And DONT throw out the original Ford filter cap.

·
Registered
469 Posts
The tabs are to go into a fliter holder for the lack of a better work. Holds the filter to the cap. Some new filters come with new caps made to them and they dont have the places for the tabs. I dont know about a differance in height.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts