Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Good Morning, I have just purchased this truck a month ago, so I'm not familiar with the history of it. But I do have paperwork that it has been well maintained.

Ok, Truck did run excellent for the month I had driven it. Yesterday, I drove it for about 4 hrs (It had downpoured rain off and on) Parked it for 6 hrs. Then needed to run an errand and truck started for 3-5 seconds then died...Now wont start at all. It will crank at 200 + RPM's but wont start.
Here is what I checked out so far...
1) All fuses in the cab are O.K. Fuse #6 Blew in the PDB at engine compartment...Replaced it.
2) Voltage at Battery #1 and #2 @ 12+ Volts
3) Voltage at Glow Plug Relay primary @12 + Volts
4) Voltage at Glow Plug Secondary...while key is at start position 9+ Volts (A voltage drop did appear, because of excessive cranking for troubleshooting)
5) Sufficient oil level at dipstick
6) WTS light does go on / off before I crank, and I can hear 2 clicks in the engine compartment, somethings being energized.
7) CPS possibly? But dont think it is because the RPM's are there.
8) I tried to open fuel filter, diesel did leak all over (Also, close / drain on the fuel filter I moved to drain and heard fluid movement)
9) The HPOP? Please advise me...Did not attempt yet to check oil level...Can I remove just the plug or do I have to take the whole lid off?
10) Shrader Valve? Please advise me...
11) When Cranking. I dont smell any diesel or see any smoke
12) My last resort is to rent a scanner to look for errors. Before I buy any parts..
Would there be anything else I can look for to troubleshoot before I get a scanner? Thanks again, thank you for your time.

Cordially,
Mark

·
Registered
70 Posts
I say CPS this happened to me I tried to figure out the problem for 4 months and I got to know the truck really well. it ended up being a bad cps That was brand new so buy it from ford!! not Autozone.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks Pro-fab

I will look into that...The truck is off-site right now but I will try to put a meter up to it. Do you know if it's a 3 wire switch? Maybe I can jump the pos. and neu. from the cordset directly to the switch and monitor the load side of the switch to see if I'm getting any voltage while I crank.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Mark-
This sounds like the same problem I am having with a '95. See intermittent starting on E350 van.
I was able to start it on starting fluid IF you DO NOT WAIT for the glow plug lights. In other words. Squirt it and crank!
Sometimes the main pump will get enough oil into the HP resevoir to get the injectors to work and start.
If the HP resevoir in to far down or empty, them you have to take the sensor off the top. I think a 1-1/16 socket will fit it. Remove it and fill resevoir and start.
If you find out what lets it drain, let me know.
I have to make a decision on mine. Ford has thrown their hands up and claim they don't know what causes it.
Hope that helps

Marty O

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Good Morning, I have just purchased this truck a month ago, so I'm not familiar with the history of it. But I do have paperwork that it has been well maintained.

Ok, Truck did run excellent for the month I had driven it. Yesterday, I drove it for about 4 hrs (It had downpoured rain off and on) Parked it for 6 hrs. Then needed to run an errand and truck started for 3-5 seconds then died...Now wont start at all. It will crank at 200 + RPM's but wont start.
Here is what I checked out so far...
1) All fuses in the cab are O.K. Fuse #6 Blew in the PDB at engine compartment...Replaced it.
2) Voltage at Battery #1 and #2 @ 12+ Volts
3) Voltage at Glow Plug Relay primary @12 + Volts
4) Voltage at Glow Plug Secondary...while key is at start position 9+ Volts (A voltage drop did appear, because of excessive cranking for troubleshooting)
5) Sufficient oil level at dipstick
6) WTS light does go on / off before I crank, and I can hear 2 clicks in the engine compartment, somethings being energized.
7) CPS possibly? But dont think it is because the RPM's are there.
8) I tried to open fuel filter, diesel did leak all over (Also, close / drain on the fuel filter I moved to drain and heard fluid movement)
9) The HPOP? Please advise me...Did not attempt yet to check oil level...Can I remove just the plug or do I have to take the whole lid off?
10) Shrader Valve? Please advise me...
11) When Cranking. I dont smell any diesel or see any smoke
12) My last resort is to rent a scanner to look for errors. Before I buy any parts..
Would there be anything else I can look for to troubleshoot before I get a scanner? Thanks again, thank you for your time.

Cordially,
Mark
i had this problem a while back after i purchased the truck and i just sprayed starting fluid in the intake and it roughly started on up

but i didnt check all the stuff you did
i just called a local mecanhic and he did it all for me
hopefully this helps
might try it idk?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts