Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, so my ac compressor went out on friday. So I order compressor kit lines and condenser. Pulled out evaporator cleaned and flushed. Installed everything correct oil levels in all components, vacuum systems, recharged. But only blowing at 60 degrees. I remember when I had the evaporator out my temperature blend door was kinda loose.

I know its cable operated. Is there a way to test and fix if necessary.

Thank you

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All vac lines good and tested. Can the cable on the temp knob loosen up? Has anyone had a problem with that blenddoor?

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
It's a possibility, I wouldn't rule anything out with the age of these trucks but most of the time it's vacuum related.

·
Premium Member
3,515 Posts
Get a hand pump with a gauge on it and connect to the vacuum source line -- you can operate the ac controls and watch the gauge to see if each position holds a vacuum
With the engine off and the fan unplugged, you may even hear the leak

The Harbor Freight pump works pretty well for this test

Can we assume the AC gauges are reading in the correct range and the return line to the compressor is cold to the touch?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm getting 60-62 degrees out of the vents, in AZ at 107 outside temp. Are my expectations to high? Lol, not like my 2018?

·
Premium Member
3,515 Posts
Did you change the orifice tube? -- you didnt say
and as I asked earlier, is the suction line to the compressor cold to the touch?

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
A 30 degree differential is considered good. After a few miles mine is ice cold in Houston heat and humidity. Replaced everything 9yrs ago, 150k miles and i've only had to swap a compressor once due to the clutch failing.

Go over it real good, trick is you have to pull a vacuum before filling it. Orifice tube is mandatory to replace when doing big parts changes.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Everything is cold to the touch, every plastic and rubber o ring replaced. I dont think I did something right with the vacuum. Just going to take to a shop have them vac and fill. Checked blend door very little play. Not enough to make any difference. Air temp is the same right at evaporator

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
Everything is cold to the touch, every plastic and rubber o ring replaced. I dont think I did something right with the vacuum. Just going to take to a shop have them vac and fill. Checked blend door very little play. Not enough to make any difference. Air temp is the same right at evaporator

If you are going to a shop for your A/C, I suggest you go the someone who also knows these trucks in general. I also live in sunny Arizona and local BPD did some minor A/C tweaking on my '04 and it now blows a reliable 40* in traffic and a bit lower at higher speeds.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Sounds to me like your blend door for temp control is not shutting all the way so you are still pulling in heat from the heater core. Mine blows at 28-30* on fast idle when it is 105* out. I also run a 6.0 fan which helps a lot.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I pulled cover behind glovebox you can access blend door. It doesn't have barley any play. And air is same temp right at evaporator.

·
Registered
1 Posts
you have to get the vacuum down to 30 or whatever the chart shows for the ambient temp and humidity and pump it for 30 minutes. you have to evacuate all moisture from the system. shut the pump off, mark the reading on the gauge and let it set at least an hour, I go 2 hours just because my dad told me to. get the orifice tube for desert cooling high temp.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you for all the replies, took to a shop. They got it very cold. Got my irate fuel system in and I'm a happy with it.

One more thing, I got an ATS tripple loc torque converter and i absolutely hate it. Any recommendations for a good heavy duty torque converter. This thing locks and about puts you through the seat.

·
Premium Member
3,515 Posts
Goldilocks and the three bears ...converters
this one is too harsh
this one is too bleh
this one seems to slip too much

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Would you laugh if I told you that I looked up Goldilocks torque converters?

Reactions: Hydro
1 - 16 of 16 Posts