Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 97 F250 I have owned since new & I was recently rear ended in the trailer I was towing. I had stopped on the turnpike due to traffic. After 20 seconds this idiot ran into my aluminum trailer causing it to push the truck and trailer combo 3' even though the brakes were on. The impact also broke the 2" ball hitch, bent the Class 5 receiver hitch, put a hole through the license plate and a dent in the bumper.

Prior to this impact I had switched to a new full tank of diesel. After the accident I drove to the next rest stop two miles away, and had used 1/4 tank of diesel in that distance. The strong smell of diesel was very obvious to anyone standing near my truck. Luckily I was able to get the remaining 60 miles home on another 1.5 tanks of diesel.

Next morning I started the truck and noticed a large flow of fuel from the engine valley. I took it to my mechanic and he said that the fuel pump was destroyed . .
I told the mechanic that this was not an issue prior to this accident. This insurance called the Service Manager to inquire about the damage done to the fuel pump. It was at that time that the Service Manager said that he had never heard of this occurring due to an accident in the past. Therefore, the insurance company now refuses to pay for damages.

Has anybody in the Power Stroke nation heard of this ever happening? Because it happened to me.

·
Premium Member
8,804 Posts
Dual tanks on this truck ?
Should be nothing that a collision could do to the fuel pump, unless the damage pushed on the full rear tank -- this may damage the diaphragm part of the pump

A fuel pump is less than $100 -- so not sure that would be a big loss when arguing with the insurance -- I suppose if your hiring the replacement, then the price will be more

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The pump was 250$ & instal was 1000$ labor. Although i have the original pump still haven't had time to look at it though, but the service guy said that there is major damage to the diaphragm causing the leak.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Wow..
Yet another example of a shop taking advantage of a situation.

Replacing that pump is not a difficult job, pump is not that expensive either.

Reactions: Hydro

·
Administrator
34,297 Posts
major damage to a failed rubber diaphragm ?
what it was torn ? ,, thats normal for a failed unit

you drove 60 miles after the incident , I would expect if this was some anomaly of the accident ( not saying it is even possible) the driving would have been over right there and then
get a lawyer anyway so they can get your other stuff covered and if it bent your hitch you may want to have a frame shop check this out

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good input on the frame alignment when allstate stops squeezing!
I am so busy with moving, finishing the container house & everything else I have to do I still haven't had a chance to examine the old pump parts. I do know however that the first 200 miles of that trip mileage was normal, like 15MPG.However after the accident It took most of a quarter tank to drive 2 miles & about 1.5 tanks to get home. I guess the only reason it didn't catch on fire was that it was downpouring constantly for the remainder of the trip.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts