Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 200 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Alright so I'm not too big on documenting build threads so this isn't going to be very exciting. but I picked up a clean 97 CCLB with a 7.3 for cheap. Has a cavitated block. Yesterday I got the engine ready to pull, Tomorrow she is coming out.
Here's the plan.

1: Have the heads gone through, Surfaced and what not.

2: Short Block from ford

3: New Injectors, Stg 1 or 2 from Industrial Or Swamps with tune
(lets here what you think about either, and i'd appreciate facts about their product)

4: Turbo- Super89, or D66
(same with turbos

5: Intercooler, Tranny Cooler
(got a deal on a 6.0)

6: 4inch exhaust with no cat
(betting my cat is toast after all the coolant I found in there.)

7: Put her together and start saving for a tranny.

Attached is pic of how she sits now

I'd like to hear some good info of problematic issues to fix while she is out, Like exhaust header leaks and other crap that you always run into.
New to the powerstroke so its gonna be a learning process

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
12,907 Posts
good looking truck.

i have no experience with either swamps or industrial injections, but swamps has a great warranty. i'mrunning rosewood 160/100 they have been great

i would skip the D66, if you want to go bigger or have more options use a T4 mount, if you stick with 160/0 (stage 1) injectors just rebuild the stock turbo and add a WW2. i would put bellowed up pipes in while the motor is out. i would also recommend e fuel. and depending on the health of your HPOP yo could upgrade that as well

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Look at Full Force Diesel too for injectors. Very happy with mine. Depending on how big you go with injectors it will get expensive fast with all the supporting goods....such as electric fuel set up with reg return, turbo (t4 mount is a good idea), HPOP

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My goal is nothing more than 400. Just want it fun, reliable, and up to the new trucks in power. Not a crazy build. I figured what was listed would be in the range to be happy. I'll be towing mostly. either my rock-crawler or my toy hauler so thats what its getting set up for.

The block comes with a brand new HPOP. I'm not sure if an upgraded one will be need with my goals. The industrial turbo will cost me 800. 89 wheel with a 1.00 housing. I think swapping to t4 is out of the price range right now.

@ars5147 Thanks for the dip stick info. stuff like that makes life way better!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I like the idea of E fuel. Seems like a good mod. If i built the kit myself it would be feasable in price range

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
@ars5147 Thanks for the dip stick info. stuff like that makes life way better!
You're welcome. The factory fitting will eventually leak.

160cc with a stock nozzle should be good with a stock HPOP and what your plans are. Yes, a t4 will get pricey.

Better budget for a transmission after you get it running again. It's inevitable and easier to build a trans that is not completely trashed.

Think about things like a new water pump, vacuum pump (it's driven off the serp belt), power steering box, lines (probably rusty).

Other things:

New fuel pump if you're keeping it stock
Rebuild factory fuel bowl, it's probably leaking

·
Super Moderator
12,907 Posts
160/30 (stage 1.5) with a rebuilt stock turbo and an IC. you can put together a E fel kit for a reasonable amount. I did mine using a brand new OEM Ford pump for ~ $650

·
Registered
337 Posts
good looking truck.

i have no experience with either swamps or industrial injections, but swamps has a great warranty. i'mrunning rosewood 160/100 they have been great

i would skip the D66, if you want to go bigger or have more options use a T4 mount, if you stick with 160/0 (stage 1) injectors just rebuild the stock turbo and add a WW2. i would put bellowed up pipes in while the motor is out. i would also recommend e fuel. and depending on the health of your HPOP yo could upgrade that as well
If your plans are for a new turbo, intercooler pipes and up pipes, really consider the T4 option. Then sourcing the intercooler pipes and up pipes is no longer an issue and price wise very comparable. Black Friday sales make it even more attractive. Check out Irate Diesel, 15% off their T4/standard S366 package.

Rusty

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah. This truck was WELL taken care of! but the owner over looked this electrolysis/cavitation thing. Which really sucks because i'm sure it would have ran for a long time. As for rust. its 99% free of it. the engine bay is immaculate. He was retired and cleaned a part of the truck every day. Ill be replacing a bunch of stuff like the water pump, hoses, and stuff while I'm there just to be safe.

As for turbo options I guess ill be searching around.

And start looking at doing an electric fuel pump

·
Vendor
12,833 Posts
One thing to check around for turbo stuff. Check around local junkyards for SD parts. And you can score all the parts you need fairly cheap to go to a 38R turbo. A guy I work with once in a while just recently had all the parts to covert to the l99-03 turbo setup for $650. Intercooler, CAC pipes, etc.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Little update, Got the block out and heads off

·
DERAIL MOD!!!
23,192 Posts
Pretty sure that push rod isn't helping much, sucks about it being so nice and then engine looks like crap

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Pretty sure that push rod isn't helping much, sucks about it being so nice and then engine looks like crap
Nah its good thing. Get it cheap and fix it up!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Monday or Tusday the heads are going to the machine shop to be gone through. once they check out i'll order the block and start piecing it together! Probably do a new upgraded HPOP, Water pump, and start doing an E-fuel conversion. Also get the Injectors and turbo sent off!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Also lets hear opinions on a Fel-Pro Headgasket kit. Ive been looking around and havent really seen anybody against them. I can get a killer discount on them so its very price appealing. may buy the kit for all the odds and ends gaskets and just buy the Head gaskets themselves from ford

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
It's been mentioned but make sure you address the up-pipes. Fords OEM setup is rinkydink at best and even with fresh OEM pipes and gaskets you will be lucky to get a year out of them before they start to leak again and they are a serious PITA to change. Make sure you go with bellowed pipes regardless of what turbo setup you settle on.

We just put baby swamps injectors (160/100), swamps tunes, WW2 and a 1.0 housing in an OBS tow truck at the shop I part time at. Absolutely awesome setup. Swamps has a 5 year, 200000 mile warranty on their injectors. I couldn't find a better warranty than that.

Looks like an awesome find there. I'm always happy when a good old truck finds a good new home :thumb:

·
Super Moderator
12,907 Posts
you sure that injector size is right JJ... that is stage 2 territory.

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
Good catch. 150/146 I guess they are. Sorry. Not sure why I had 160/100 in my head.

1 - 20 of 200 Posts