Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy, I’ve been hearing over the years that it is possible to buy and install a plug n play tuner into the computer of a 97 F-250 PowerStroke. I am looking for increased fuel economy rather than HP as it is my daily driver. However, I haven't been able to find sufficient information. I have seen the Vertex tuner, but I haven’t found much user info about it. Any info y’all have/want to pass along will be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
If your buying tuners strictly for fuel economy just save your money.

·
Premium Member
11,476 Posts
Howdy, I’ve been hearing over the years that it is possible to buy and install a plug n play tuner into the computer of a 97 F-250 PowerStroke. I am looking for increased fuel economy rather than HP as it is my daily driver. However, I haven't been able to find sufficient information. I have seen the Vertex tuner, but I haven’t found much user info about it. Any info y’all have/want to pass along will be greatly appreciated!

tuning will not be the way to increase fuel economy its just really good marketing. You'd be lucky to see a .2-.5mpg increase max on highway runs.... There are ways for a pickup to get better fuel economy though. If you drive a lot of highway a tonneau cover will net 1-1.5mpg boost easily and its factual, repeatable and realworld. Checking air pressure and running less aggressive tires depending on the need will help. Pickups get their best mpg gains from driver habit changes and aeromods.

tonneau cover, diy air dam, low rolling resistance tires etc. But again its gonna be up to you with how looks go with your truck. One famouse Ecomodder is Dave who owns a 2000 F250 2wd with a lowering kit, gear vendor overdrive kit with his 6spd manual, diy front air dam and diy aeroshell for the truck bed but again it looks quite unique. The biggest bang for the buck is a simple tonneau cover. As you can see a true Ecomodder has a price to pay but he nets 27mpg average lol. I gave up after the tonneau cover as i didn't want my truck to look like the below lol.

If you read his stuff he has everything. Custom ecm tuning, re-gearing the rear-end, switching between single/double shot injectors, aftermarket air intake/exhaust, lowering kits, tire types etc. All well documented and verified.

Attachments

·
Hate stupid people
8,909 Posts
i wanted better fuel economy out of my DD, my cummins would average around 17 mpg, at this stage in my life i don't need a diesel, if im towing more than 5K then i'll use of the 4 we have up at the farm.
got me a 19 F150 with the little 2.7 V6 ecoboost (335/380?) . 1st tank hand calculated to 26mpg, 2nd one is on track for 28 (depending on the wind over next few days)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.