Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a '97 F-350 a couple months ago from a used car lot. Basically I don't know the history of this truck. The day I got it, it was smoking a little. I figured injector problems so I ran some cleaner through the injectors. This helped a little, but it went back to it's old ways not too long after. Not much changed except within the last couple of weeks. It had shut down on me and gave the check engine light. The error codes at that time said to replace the cam position sensor. I did that and it helped a little bit, but still smoking and coughing, but no more error codes. It runs rough, especially at start up and it will die if there is a sudden change in throttle (up or down). If it dies, I can let it set for about ten minutes and start it right back up again. Yesterday, however, it acted like it had run out of fuel and had air in the lines. I know for sure it didn't though. It will start, run for about three seconds and die as if it were out of fuel.

After reading countless forums and threads, I feel left with only a few options. I would just like some input on my synopsis.

1. the hpop is not putting the right pressure on the injectors
2. the IPR valve is malfunctioning mechanically or electrically
3. the wiring harness on the injectors is fried
4. the ICP sensor is malfunctioning

My best guess right now is number 3 and I would like to cross my fingers that I am right, but I would like some input on other experiences please.

:dunno:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I managed to get the truck running ... sort of. I replaced the fuel pump instead of the other three since it was a cheaper fix and it was showing some symptoms of a bad pump. The problem right now though is I seem to be getting air in the system from somewhere. I put everything back together as I took it apart and double checked that it was all in place. I filled the fuel bowl with diesel and cranked it over. It started and ran for about five seconds and died. The longest it has run since is about two minutes. To start the truck, someone has to press the in the fuel pressure check valve until diesel comes out while another cranks it. Then it dies.

All this makes me think there is air in the lines, but if there was a crack in the hose it would spew diesel unless it was in a suction hose instead. I would like to know how specifically the fuel pump worked so I could find all the suction lines and try to narrow down leaks. Also could there be a leak in the fuel pressure regulator?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have been fiddling with the truck for quite some time now. If I let it sit overnight, it will fire up and run for about a minute or two and die. Then every time you start it after that the time it will run gets shorter and shorter until it won't start at all. This is what it was doing one night which made me want to change the fuel pump. That is now done, yet the problem persists. Have the pressure regulators been known to give problems?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I think I have found the problem. I took the FPR apart to clean it. I found pieces of the regulator spring floating around inside the housing after I removed the snap ring on the bottom and took out the metal filter. After putting the whole thing back together, I found that the spring is now too short (how it broke I don't know) and the fuel pressure would only jump to 15psi. I put a BB in under the spring to make up for the lost space, but my fuel pressure only gets to about 25psi. I am thinking that I am missing an o-ring on the plunger. Can someone post a picture of theirs so I can see what the part is supposed to look like?

Thanks

·
Registered
51 Posts
sounds like the problem i'm having. although i can't get mine started, and was going to pull the fuel bowl to clean everything, but wanted to double check to see if the bowl was getting fuel. and its not so i'm thinking maybe the fuel pump. could it be anything else.

don't want to hi jack you post just wanted to get ideas

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ahh at least some movement on the thread. :woot:

Here is what mine looks like:

You can see the broken end on the spring. The plunger is also missing an o-ring, but I don't know if it is just a universal o-ring or not.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I added a universal o-ring and used two BBs to shim the FPR spring. The fuel pressure at idle is now above 50psi (my cheapo gauge doesn't go above that). The truck may be running now, but it is running lean. It will idle for a bit (ten minutes) when first started cold and then die. After it warms up it will not start at all. This still leads me back to the HPOP not functioning properly.

Any help by now would be greatly appreciated. :please:

Thanks

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I still refuse to buy an expensive part to fix the truck. I have put a new fuel filter, new fuel pump, and new FPR spring components on so far. It will still shut down after it warms up. Could my problem be with the back pressure or could it be in the fuel cutoff solenoid? Where and how do I check for either of these issues?

·
Registered
54 Posts
I've seen this problem more than once now. If it will run when its cold and shuts down when it warms up you need to check the IPR. On the 95-98 they had an edge filter and it doesn't take much to clog these things. i just had to completely replace mine. 120 bucks from international. Solved the problem right then and there.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the info. Would it be possible to clean it or should I just bite the bullet and get a new one?

·
Registered
54 Posts
I am always game for trying to pull it out and clean it with a little brake cleaner or some sort of areosol but the edge filter is very fine so it may not be a sure thing but its worth a shot before you start spending money.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the info. I'll give it a shot when I get back home. I found a site that gives a breakdown of how to remove and service the part. It looks a bit tedious, but I will definitely give it a shot.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It was in the forums. I don't really remember. Just do a search for IPR. The site doesn't give a very good idea on how to get the IPR out. Should I remove the fuel bowl or should I remove the HPOP?

·
Registered
61 Posts
I actually found it and I would suggest removing the fuel bowl, easy to do, and then the FPR is very easy to remove 2 bolts. The screen is right in the side. There is also a cir clip in the regulator it self and another filter in there, this is located on the bottom. When I cleaned mine there was alot of dirt clogged up in the screen as well as in the bottom of the fuel bowl, I used carb cleaner to clean it up. I would suggest replacing the hoses as well especially if they are cracked etc as mine were.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I actually removed the fuel bowl and FPR before this to clean all of that. It was rather messy. I cleaned both of the screens and actually found three pieces of the FPR spring in the bottom filter. I replaced hoses and all the such, but now it looks as though I will have to take it back off to do the next operation. I read on another site that one could just loosen the fuel assembly to make room for the wrench. I think I will give this a try first.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I pulled the IPR, cleaned it, and replaced it. It didn't start right up though. I actually ran through a full battery charge trying to start it back up again. I am recharging and am going to try again later. Did anyone have this happen or should I still be hunting for another issue?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I found a few other problems that I hadn't noticed. The wiring harness that wraps around the fuel bowl and plugs into the IPR was shot. Oil had eaten away at the insulation on the wires causing them to touch and short. Can I buy just that small harness? Also the solenoid on the IPR doesn't seem to respond. I think a new IPR is my next investment.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts