Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 97 ccsb 4:10 gears auto trans.285/75/16's 4x4. 3" down pipe ,straight pipe exhaust , ts6 set at 75 hp and s&b cold air intake. My question is what is everyone getting on fuel mileage on these trucks? The best i have gotten is 13.9 and thats babying it around.Do i need to change something else or is this normal i added all the aftermarket stuff hoping to see at least 16-17 mpg but right now it seems like ive wasted a lot of money for very little gains..was getting about 12.8 before mods..any help would be greatly appreciated..

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
i have a 97 ccsb 4:10 gears auto trans.285/75/16's 4x4. 3" down pipe ,straight pipe exhaust , ts6 set at 75 hp and s&b cold air intake. My question is what is everyone getting on fuel mileage on these trucks? The best i have gotten is 13.9 and thats babying it around.Do i need to change something else or is this normal i added all the aftermarket stuff hoping to see at least 16-17 mpg but right now it seems like ive wasted a lot of money for very little gains..was getting about 12.8 before mods..any help would be greatly appreciated..
Make sure all your wheels turn free, bearings a greased, etc.

Ive heard of brake calipers hanging up and causing bad milage.

·
Registered
582 Posts
The few times I have have mine empty and cruising I have gotten about 17. Towing probably 12. Around town 13 but I have a heavy foot.

·
Premium Member
23,192 Posts
Even with my heavy foot tony tunes on extreme, i get 20 hwy, and16 + city, check your turbo, filter, bearings, calipers, drums

·
Registered
167 Posts
Those 4:10s are killing you. Get some 3:55s

·
Premium Member
23,192 Posts
I have 4:10's and a ccsb, still not doing that bad

·
Full A-Team Member
6,407 Posts
4.10's here too, doesnt have anything to do with gearing. I get 17-18 all the time and if I 'grandpa' it around I can squeeze close to 20. The worst I usually do towing is 15

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Guys ive checked everything i know to check everything seems fine as far as free moving and nothing dragging im lost on this one i dont think gears would make that big a diff on these but i could be wrong..i would be tickled to get 17 mpg..

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Have you cleaned your fpr lately and do you use and fuel addatives?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No additives used...and fpr is next on my to do list but working these midnights may take a few days to get to it ill keep u posted on my progress.

·
Registered
120 Posts
My 1995 F250 EXT cab long bed gets 18-19 mpg regularly, mixture of highway and town driving. Not a lead foot here. I've been very pleased with this truck (got it last December). Eventually, I want to get an Avion 34' travel trailer or 30' 5th wheel. I'll be interested to see how it does then.

·
Registered
272 Posts
See my sig line with 4:10 gearing 5 spd manual. With upgrades my fuel milage went up slightly from 15 / 16 to 17 / 18 . Biggest improvement was adding the TS 6 pos chip with TW Tunes. Just came off a 300 mile pull with my 36 ft Montana 5th wheel @ 12,000 lbs and averaged 10 running both Tow and Heavy Tow settings. I'll take that any day, made me very happy.....

I've had my 97 since new and never ever I have seen milage into the 20's and I don't drive it like stole it cuz IM a grandpa too.

·
Super Moderator
12,908 Posts
the manual trucks do better on fuel than the autos. I get 22 highway in my 94. with your chip the higher the HP setting the better the fuel economy IF you can keep your foot out of it

·
Registered
662 Posts
my 94 powerstroke 5 speed dually the last time i checked after i filled up both tanks got 18.2 mpg. and thats with 4.10s and mixed hwy and city driving..but i do drive like a grandpa

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
My auto truck w/ 6" lift and 35" tires gets 18mpg all day long in the city. It's all in how you drive it. The LATEST I let the truck shift is 2k rpms... I try to keep it around 1400-1600 rpms the most.

Oh ya, and I have 4.10's.
I use diesel kleen EVERY single tank, as it makes a noticeable difference. Change the fuel filter and clean the fpr screen.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts