Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay well I notice yesterday I have a little white haze coming out of my exhaust tip, but its very faint. I replaced the exhaust about a month ago, I put a 4" straight pipe on it with 6" tip. And had the oil changed bout 600 miles ago. I use a gallon of Lucas oil stabilizer and rotella t5 10-30 Hd oil. also made a homemade intake with different air filter and has superchip programmer Also on a cold start the truck makes a real loud hiss out of the exhaust, but its only on a cold start after the truck hasnt been run for a little, once warmed up it quits. just wondering if someone had the same problem or any advice. just dont want to get stuck with a problem that I cant fix or handle.
Thanks

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I usually notice the smoke at first start up in the morning and the truck has 138,000 on it. and thanks for the help.

·
Banned
920 Posts
Ever do glow plugs?? Low combustion temp causes white smoke. Does the Wait to start light come on and off real fast?? The hissing noise is the Exhaust back pressure valve EBPV closing to hold hot exhaust back to increase warm up. If you want to or ever have the turbo off Delete it if it doesnt work like it should . The seal for the rod starts to leak and then cover the valley in oil . Very messy try glow plugs

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no I never messed with the glow plugs. I just bought the truck in February. The wait to start dont go off to quick.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
okay next question. how would I change the glow plugs and where are they located? Im new to diesel and really dont know where everything is located.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
The glow plugs are located under the valve covers, inside the heads. There is one for each cylinder. When you remove the valve cover, there will be 8 wire leads. 4 will go to the injectors (the big yellow squares) and 4 will go to the glow plugs. Simply remove replace and hook back up,

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so if my do not start light goes off quick they need replaced? or if it stays on long? thanks for all the help

·
Registered
312 Posts
how many miles are on your truck? Why are you using 10W30?, we test engines at my diesel school, in this texas summer heat and thinner oils, engines with some hours on them do tend to let off a light fog of white smoke even when up to opperating temps. you might try running 15w40 diesel oil and see if that helps before you start pulling valve covers to change glow plugs.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am starting to think the glow plugs are going. lately when I try starting the truck you can hear it cranking over a little more before it starts. it dont start right away. I was told I have to pull the motor to change the glow plugs?

·
Registered
537 Posts
No, you don't have to pull the motor. Just clear everything off of the valve covers, take them off, and then look for the leads.

·
Banned
920 Posts
It should cost you 80 for the GPs and thats it. it pretty simple to do i use a 1/4" 10mm and ratchet because 3/8" will get stuck on the rockers that are up

·
Registered
1 Posts
who ever told you that you have to pull the engine to replace your GP's does not know what they are talking about and i would not go to them for any kind of work or advice. Just my two cents

1 - 15 of 15 Posts