Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so first I was getting billowing white smoke intermittently. Not on cold start but different times. The last time it did it it started after an hour drive. Wouldn't stop so I parked it and trailered it home. When I started it up 12hr later to drive it onto the trailer it was not smoking anymore. I let it sit for three weeks as other priorities came up.
started it yesterday and no smoke cranked up in a sec or two after sitting three weeks. Drove Into the garage. Notice I was low on coolant. I drained about 2 gal of coolant from the petcock. Drained the oil and it had something in it I'm assuming to be water. Pressurized the degas and it just streams out of the oil drain plug (oil drained). Swapped oil cooler for spare and ut doesn't the exact same thing. Pulled oil cooler apart and it looks fine. Orings good no signs of damage.

Recent work: injectors pulled and shimmed (armature) this was done about a month before the issue.

·
Premium Member
4,619 Posts
Did the injector cups look ok when you pulled them?

Which O-rings and gaskets did you use for the oil cooler? They must be dealer only as aftermarket onces have caused many of us to blend oil and coolant together nicely in our motors.

You could also have an injector sticking open. Anything besides replacing injectors when they are worn out is just a band aid.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I definitely know replacing injectors is the way to go. But I did what I could do. I don't see how that could cause coolant to flow into my oil.
I replaced the oil cooler with a whole spare unit I have and it behaved identically. I can't believe two different units would both be bad the exact same way. Seems unlikely to me. So if not that any other ideas on the coolant into the oil? I can hear it just running into the pan when pressurizing the degas and then when I removed the drain plug it just pours out in a small stream.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I thought cracked cups but don't understand why the coolant would be in the oil and not the oil in the coolant. Isn't it normally oil into coolant?

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Cracked cups usually allow fuel into coolant. Only other things I can think of would be a front cover crack (water pump area), head gasket (these usually are stout), and unlikley the cylinder cavitation issue). Cheers!

Reactions: White95f250
1 - 7 of 7 Posts