1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All.

1997 F250 7.3L

Symptoms
  • Engine is idling rough. Passenger Side Bank is running fine as far as I can tell. Only driver side #6 Injector is firing. Also, not sure if it is actually working properly, but it is the only injector that has oil shooting out of the poppet. There is no power.
  • Pulling P1316 code (IDM)

Steps Taken so far:
  • I've checked the fuel filter, seems fine
  • Passenger side exhaust manifold is hot, Driver side exhaust manifold is cold.
  • I've checked and replaced the Valve cover gasket, knowing that those are prone to fail.
  • I've check between the IDM and the respective pins. based off of the Tech Bulletin 103
  • The idm side of the harness had corrosion, i used a small file and felt like i cleaned it up sufficiently.

I've been on these boards for a week now and cant seem to find someone with the same problem and can't.

Any help will be appreciated.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've already viewed that video, Thanks though!

Also, I have the harness with two 5 pin connectors, not the single 9 pin.

I've also replaced the UVCH gasket, thinking that there could be a short circuit within the gasket (since the harness seems fine).

I hate to say it, but it's looking like it may be the IDM. When i pulled off the idm terminal connection to test the wiring harness, the terminal had some corrosion, greenish rust.

Here's another question, how do you remove the IDM, is it only those 4 bolts?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Took IDM in to get checked. One of the diodes (i think) was completely useless.

There was no sound of water.
Will replace IDM and ill reply with what happens next.

·
Premium Member
9,060 Posts
You won't necessarily "hear" water, you have to open it up and see the corrosion damage the water has done (I wouldn't open it unless you get the go-ahead from whoever might want the core. You can open them without damaging them but you have to be careful not to deform the lid)

Who, and How, tested the IDM? That's actually interesting to know you could have that done...

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
I am having a similar problem, Except my 6&8 do not work, the injectors will work in a different position just not those 2. I have replaced all you have and more and still nothing. I grabbed another IDM and the same problem. Let me know what you find out, we have a guy coming with a pc program and see if he can find the problem.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll keep you posted on what happens to me. I should be getting the IDM today, and hopefully i'll have sometime to get to it in the next couple of days.

Are you getting ohms or continuity from the UVCH to the IDM harness?

·
Premium Member
5,529 Posts
OP sounds like a idm...I too never herd of "testing". To ^, I'd check the harness from idm to uvch...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It was the IDM. Replaced it and truck is working good. I'm keeping an eye on it, i've seen too many "it was the idm" and then three days later the OP is having the same issues.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Congrats on getting yours going.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Idahostrokin,

Maybe update the forum with what the solution to your problem was, when you figure it out of course.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts