Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well this truck we are gonna buy body is quite **** but found a truck clean for 800 bucks and just gonna swap everything over.

Anywho, While test driving, the guy did tell us immediately about the problem. when shifting from first to second it will grind. If you let the truck go down to idle speed you can slide it into second without any issue. He think's its a servo because he's replaced the master, and the slave cylinder. It's a kid but the truck mechanically sounds. 208k miles. he also put new fluid in the trans aswell. Only mobil 1 filters. I'll be doing a oil change and fuel filter immediately once i get the truck though.

just trying to see what you guys think the problem could be.

·
Registered
4,285 Posts
What tranny fluid was put in?

May still be a hydraulic issue, if the master and slave were replaced separately and the system wasn't bled properly. Or the bushing/eyelet on the master. Or pedal box bushings.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well i drove the truck and it worked absolutely fine in every other gear. about half pedal engagement. He said he used motorcraft recc. stuff

i was kinda thinking about going to get synchromesh stuff to throw in it

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
Servo? In a straight drive?

Perhaps you mean synchro.

Often times putting in the correct synthetic fluid fixes a lot of problems.

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
The 5-speeds tend to be "notchy" anyway. The fluid needs to be synthetic. You could always try some RedLine MTL in it which helps a bit, but it's probably the synchro. Cheers!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well we bought the truck bringing him cash tomorrow. I'm gonna throw in some mobil1 full synthetic or royal purple synchromesh stuff in it.

·
Registered
4,285 Posts
We had Mobil 1 in both trucks last year, and TBH, I wasn't impressed with the winter performance. So the RP may be a better choice. We have a Fleetguard "equivalent" of Castrol Transynd in the RCLB now; it'll be interesting to see how it compares with the Mobil 1 in the ECLB.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We are gonna try some Dexron6 since i work for GM. Hopefully itll help.. It seems as if it's starting to clear itself up though. drove it around yesterday and could sometimes get it to go into 2nd without grinding.

·
Registered
800 Posts
You can do as the Ford manual says and make 3-5 hard shifts and high RPM in an attempt to break up a glazed syncro/cone. I've done it with success.

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
^I've never heard of that... any further information on that one?

·
Registered
800 Posts
Just as stated. It helps to break up any glaze on the Syncro and cone. Ford manual has it, as does the ZF manual.

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
I never knew that... very interesting. Thank you.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts